Re: Star Wars: Battlefront

Post by Dr. kitteny berk »

looks good that does. :likesitall:
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

Just to counterbalance my previous post, in light of beta reports, and also because I just though of an appropriate way to quote Han Solo: I've got a bad feeling about this. As if I didn't already. Which is a shame because we need a new 5punky shooter to bring us all together, and also Star Wars. Hopefully it'll surprise us, but I wouldn't recommend pre-ordering.
Roman Totale
Robotic Bumlord
Robotic Bumlord

Post by Roman Totale »

I think I'll be getting this, though I won't be pre-ordering.
Joose
Turret
Turret

Post by Joose »

I was listening to a podcast earlier where a guy who usually gives sound opinions said it was "probably the worst FPS he has played in the last decade". He then listed off a bunch of things about it that do, indeed, sound fucking terribad. I would definitely wait for reviews on this one, so far I have heard *a lot* of bad things about it.
HereComesPete
Throbbing Cupcake
Throbbing Cupcake

Post by HereComesPete »

:above: It looks good, but I've heard a lot of people making noise about broken and bad things.
Anery
Optimus Prime
Optimus Prime

Post by Anery »

I'm hearing mixed things.
Some folks hate it, finding bugs, broken mechanics/maps, unbalanced weapons/loadouts...etc. Some of which have been promised to be fixed by launch. Other folks love it. The more balanced reports I've had back - after questioning folks who played the beta - seem to indicate an arcade-y shooter that you shouldn't think too hard about (and the one guy who complained that strafing infantry from a X-Wing was almost impossible, but I called him a cupcake to his face) but one that is pretty fun to pick up and play.
I will still be buying this game, might wait a few weeks for the inevitable server/connection issues to be sorted.
FatherJack
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by FatherJack »

I played the beta, which put me off buying it. It did initially have a very strong feeling about it of being inside a Star Wars movie, especially once you spawned inside the Rebel Base instead of the uninspired outside bits. However the gameplay grew dull very quickly. If it had a server browser it might be worth a punt once it drops in price.

It didn't seem broken or terrible or any of the other overreactive things people seem to be saying about it, just that once you'd got over the fact that it convincingly depicted Star Wars there wasn't much to keep you and any friend (singular) you might play it with interested.
TezzRexx
Dr Zoidberg
Dr Zoidberg

Post by TezzRexx »

I played the alpha and beta, and enjoyed it. Therefore, I'll probably buy it. :ninja:
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

I just found nestled away in an article that you can create 8-player parties, so that's a big step in the right direction. I guess we'll find out if it's worth 8 of us buying soon enough.
Anery
Optimus Prime
Optimus Prime

Post by Anery »

I bought this recently, the price had/has been dropped to 36 quid - down from a truly outrageous 50 for an Origin code.
It's a good game, I don't really know why some people are unhappy - it's almost as though this horse-fed diet of class based beige has destroyed the fun centres of their brains. This is not a serious game, this is not for the overly competitive and I think those people are the ones getting pissed off - this is FPS where the S stands for caSual.
Visuals are great, sounds are fantastic. Maps are bloody confusing sometimes and overly simplified at others but generally OK. All the weapons I've tried so far have been pretty standard affairs - fast shooting/low damage or slower and nastier - not sure why people have been complaining about them, how would one get recoil on a laser anyway? Only thing I can find wrong with them is the accuracy doesn't seem to change if you go to the aim or not, leads to me running about in third person like a maniac shooting from the hip - fun times.

Give it a punt if you have the money, if not, wait for sales.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

Good to hear. I was wondering if it was more the hardcore crowd, because you're not the first person I've seen write that it was quite casual. Which might be good for us. Dunno, a sale sounds like a good option right now but maybe it does have potential.

Also, blasters aren't lasers. They excite packets of gas into a particle beam (I remember them using gas so had to look it up), pretty much like plasma. Apparently that would have recoil. I also found something about lightsabers using the same thing but captured in a magnetic field. Since the magnetic field repels the plasma in both directions that's why they can parry each other and deflect blaster bolts. Not being pedantic particularly, I just thought it was interesting.
buzzmong
Weighted Storage Cube
Weighted Storage Cube

Post by buzzmong »

Dog Pants wrote:Also, blasters aren't lasers. They excite packets of gas into a particle beam (I remember them using gas so had to look it up), pretty much like plasma. Apparently that would have recoil. I also found something about lightsabers using the same thing but captured in a magnetic field. Since the magnetic field repels the plasma in both directions that's why they can parry each other and deflect blaster bolts. Not being pedantic particularly, I just thought it was interesting.
FYI, lasers recoil anyway. It's only a small amount, but they do.
Roman Totale
Robotic Bumlord
Robotic Bumlord

Post by Roman Totale »

I also am very much enjoying this (sad to say I've had to go console though, as the £35 to get it on PS4 is much cheaper than the massive upgrade my PC requires to play it). Walker Assault is probably my favourite game mode so far.