Re: Overwatch.

Post by Dog Pants »

I'm ragequitting already.
Grimmie
Master of Soviet Propaganda
Master of Soviet Propaganda

Post by Grimmie »

I bought a ticket to http://overwatchcelebration.com/ for shits and gigs.
I'll report back as to what was in the swag bags.
Mr. Johnson
Mr Flibbles
Mr Flibbles

Post by Mr. Johnson »

10 bucks says it'll be cola bottles with tracer on them. And a t-shirt. A cola t-shirt.
FatherJack
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by FatherJack »

An in-game cola t-shirt.
fabyak
Home-made Big Daddy
Home-made Big Daddy

Post by fabyak »

And a melon with a man trap and a mine attached
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

http://www.pcgamer.com/overwatch-hero-counters-guide/

:above: More useful, less pretty. See? Bastion is a pussycat.
Joose
Turret
Turret

Post by Joose »

Dog Pants wrote:Bastion is a pussycat.
This echos my thoughts on Bastion. Its not that he is OP, he just isn't very interesting. He is a bit dull to play as (set up, point forward, hold m1 till someone kills you) and he isnt that interesting to play against (swap to a character that can get behind him, shoot in arse). This is emphasised by the POTG, that often highlights him sitting there, point forward, wiping out teams whilst not really doing anything.

I can't remember who first said it, but I've often heard that the best games are those that keep you making interesting decisions. Playing as Bastion, the only really interesting decisions you have to make is where to set up and when to bug out, so I think what they need to do is encourage him to move around more and not just sit in one spot all game. Not sure how they can best achieve that though.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

Joose wrote:I can't remember who first said it, but I've often heard that the best games are those that keep you making interesting decisions. Playing as Bastion, the only really interesting decisions you have to make is where to set up and when to bug out, so I think what they need to do is encourage him to move around more and not just sit in one spot all game. Not sure how they can best achieve that though.
Think it was Plato. I'd say forcing him to fall back and push forward does that, but that only really happens when he's overrun and dies. Which in turn is because he's only popular with new players (so says that PCG article), which is in turn because he's easy to counter with a little skill. A skilled player would perhaps read the battle and fall back before he gets outflanked, stay mobile, set up ambushes then move so not to attract a Genji. Kind of like a sniper. But skilled players don't like him because in turret mode he gets wftpwned by a fast attacker before he can react.

Just speculating, I'm a very unskilled Genji player.
Joose
Turret
Turret

Post by Joose »

I've just had another thought about why I think Bastion isn't quite working at the moment. All the other characters for an intricate rock-paper-scissors pattern: like that PCGamer article says, they all have a couple of characters that will utterly ruin them and a couple of characters they can utterly ruin. Bastion doesn't really fit that pattern; he is pretty good against all the other characters (but not really a hard counter to any of them) until they pay attention to him at which point they all have ways of dealing with him.
Mr. Johnson
Mr Flibbles
Mr Flibbles

Post by Mr. Johnson »

I really don't enjoy playing as bastion because yes, he is intensely boring to play as. But to his credit, we were getting absolutely destroyed last night on the Gibraltar map last night until I finally buckled and started playing as bastion which turned the game around at the last capture point*. Now I can't actually remember if we won it or not but it was damn close. And even though the enemy team was way better I still got play of the game. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
They're gonna have to tweak their POTG system.

*Mostly due to FJ's healing and damage boosts.
Joose
Turret
Turret

Post by Joose »

Mr. Johnson wrote:They're gonna have to tweak their POTG system.
I think this is a big part of the Bastion problem. The POTG puts too much emphasis on big group kills, so Bastion gets POTG a disproportional amount of the time and usually for boring looking things. They need to somehow factor in impressive displays of teamwork, or just put less emphasis on kills and more on heals and the like.

In fact, I wonder if POTG wouldn't be improved if it could somehow credit more than one person at a time? For instance, if Mei freezes a bunch of people in place and then Farah missiles them to death, at the moment just Farah would get recognition, even though both players contributed equally.
Anery
Optimus Prime
Optimus Prime

Post by Anery »

We're having a discussion about broken stuff and nobody mentions McCree - shift, E, M2...win. It's not like he even has to aim his E particularly well either, and now we're here Tracer is a piece of shit too.
Last edited by Anery on May 27th, 2016, 14:38, edited 1 time in total.
Mr. Johnson
Mr Flibbles
Mr Flibbles

Post by Mr. Johnson »

Yes, but after he spaffed off those he's like shooting fish in a barrel. Him being the fish. And his E has a range of about 2 metres.
Anery
Optimus Prime
Optimus Prime

Post by Anery »

Mr. Johnson wrote:Yes, but after he spaffed off those he's like shooting fish in a barrel. Him being the fish. And his E has a range of about 2 metres.
But how many times do you survive to do that? I've seen him take out a tank with that combo.
Joose
Turret
Turret

Post by Joose »

Ive multiple times fired off my stun and missed, or missed the follow up shot, or hit then been shot by all my targets mates as I sit with everything on cooldown. Its a good combo, and its not super hard to pull off, but its not as easy as Bastions "m1, point at bad guys".

Tracer is a piece of shit if she keeps moving. I quite often find myself boinking into walls or getting disoriented or rewinding into a team fight that wasnt there a second ago.

I think a lot of the characters have killer abilities with low skill requirements when compared to other, similar games. Its just that Bastions has a low skill requirement compared to the rest of Overwatch.
Mr. Johnson
Mr Flibbles
Mr Flibbles

Post by Mr. Johnson »

McCree is meant to take out characters one-on-one, and can be good against the likes of hanzo and widowmaker. More than one enemy and he's toast. But the 'played well' can apply to a lot of other characters, since I've had to deal with Lucios that kept zipping around being impossible to hit whilst healing, a lone Mei that was constantly freezing and killing my much more powerful tank, a widowmaker with dead-eye accuracy, etc. Any character can be a formidable threat when played by a capable person (so, not me.). It requires some good teamplay to take them down, but I see it as a (infuriating) challenge.
Gunslinger42
Ninja
Ninja

Post by Gunslinger42 »

Lucio is underrated imo, and not many people make use of his wallriding. Spazzing around in some of the set-ups (particularly hollywood I think, it has a giant room with flat walls) and I figured out he can sort of double jump if he wall rides a bit, then jumps. Then he can wall ride again straight away, and keep doing it until he hits the ceiling and drops.

As for bastion, he's like a shittier version of torbjorn imo. His turret is very good if you place it well, and he can run around getting some shots off with his little gun, dropping armor, and turn into a huge damage sponge for a little while with his ult.

I am always torn on defense maps because I know if I go tobjorn I can do really well, but if I try the other heroes for some variation/fun I'll be terrible and not help the team