Call of Mechwarrior (Titanfall)

Where we come together to shoot 5punk.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

spoodie
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Re: Call of Mechwarrior (Titanfall)

Post by spoodie »

I've read that there's a problem with matchmaking, especially on PC, ie. not matched with people of a similar level or ability. So your team could end up being dominated or dominating. I've played 9 games so far, half the campaign, and won 3. I very much doubt those wins are down to me.

But yeah, it is fun chaos. And no problems for me so far.
Anery
Optimus Prime
Optimus Prime

Post by Anery »

So, I think I can safely make a decent assessment of the game now.

As an arena shooter the pace is fast and your next respawn could be forced from any direction thanks to the verticality offered by the jump packs. At first this lead to a sense of paranoia but soon gets replaced by a "fuck it" attitude when you realise how quick the spawn timer is...in fact, I can't verify if there IS a spawn timer it seems to go by so quick.
That jump pack is probably not what you were expecting though, if you played Planetside or Tribes you will be used to the traditional jet pack that allows you to almost fly, this one only really allows you to double jump and wallwalk - BUT there is no cooldown so you can bounce around like it's Quake again.
Maps seem OK right now, I've not noticed any problems with them but I've not slowed down to admire the scenery - and survived.
Rest of it plays like CoD with big fucking robots really, KV got it dead on with his thread title.
The Titans are probably not as robust as you would think they are, and the early Anti-Titan weaponry is probably not as efficient as what Respawn make out that it is, that said they can change the course of a fight, or you can spawn one and watch it disintegrate as soon as you get into it (equip auto-eject, not only does it eject you before your Titan goes boom, it cloaks you as well - oh yeah, everyone gets a cloak)
Weaponry is pretty standard fare with one exception, a pistol with a lock on ability. This sounds stupidly over powered but you need to get a full magazine lock on to a player for a one shot kill - not so for NPCs but they are not as much of a threat anyway. This started out as a great piece of kit for me whilst getting my teeth into the game, now it is a bit shit as I want to be killing folks quicker but I also want to finish off the achievements for it...
Sadly the 6v6 has two massive drawbacks:
1. The matchmaking system is shit, so you can end up with a very experienced team v a team of new players - with no way to balance (my first 8 or so games were like this, I didn't win a damn thing for the entire Militia campaign)
2. Clan stacking completely ruins the game, even two players talking on TS can upset everything.
Now I have mentioned it, I had better explain the two game options - classic which lets you choose your favourite style of gameplay - domination, team deathmatch, etc, and Campaign mode which takes you through a series of maps with mixed objectives with storyline on the side which never changes no matter the outcome of your matches - I seriouly think Respawn missed a tricke there, not having branching objectives/storyline but I guess most players won't care.
There's other stuff to it but I won't spoil anything for anyone who is going to buy it - which you should by the way.

Good Points:

Jump packs add verticality to the game
Sets a good pace, quick respawns
Proper return of twitch gaming
Titans - live like a god
Difficult to camp
Originality, probably counts less with some folks but its a nice change of pace from Beige Man Shooter
Easy entry point with the magic homing bullet gun

Bad Points:

Matchmaking
Too easy to tilt the game by clan stacking
Getting kicked to death - really, I think I prefer stabbing. At least stabbing has a habit of being fatal in real life - unlike getting one kick in the back
Titans - die like a dog
It is going to need more weaons and abilities adding, I can see a pattern of builds emerging already.
Player base - I know it's the fucking internet but I've never seen so much abuse before (I stopped playing CoD after 4)
Joose
Turret
Turret

Post by Joose »

I've been playing this a fair bit after my resolve crumbled like wet paper mache under a robo-boot. I cant give any particular explanation as to why, but I've seen a lot of people complaining that the titans don't last very long but I've not seen any evidence of that myself. You do have to be a bit more cautious than being in a giant robot would suggest; making sure to back off when your shields drop, definitely don't get sandwiched between two enemy bots, keep an eye out of fellas standing on your back. If I keep an eye on all that I can quite often keep my titan up for ages, I pretty much now only lose my titan when I've gone into a fight outnumbered with no clear escape plan or I've been rodeoed whilst already having been battered in a titan fight.

That's not to suggest I am some super-awesome Titanfall savant. I am OK in a Titan. I cant shoot for shit outside of a Titan. I've got reasonably good and springing up behind people and twisting their heads all the way around though.

I've got to say, its the first new multiplayer FPS for ages that I have actually enjoyed for more than an hour.
Anery
Optimus Prime
Optimus Prime

Post by Anery »

Titanballs is now on sale on Origin for 13.49 which is the cheapest I can find (even the independent retailer smashing Amazon has it for 22 quid)

I'm not saying you should buy it, but for this price you really should buy it!
Mr. Johnson
Mr Flibbles
Mr Flibbles

Post by Mr. Johnson »

I shelled out for the deluxe edition so that I don't suffer from the expansion pack curse.
shot2bits
Zombie
Zombie

Post by shot2bits »

I doubt this will be on sale still when i get paid next Friday but ill be grabing it if it is
Mr. Johnson
Mr Flibbles
Mr Flibbles

Post by Mr. Johnson »

I just played it a quick round of this and I quite like it. The extra manoeuvrability certainly adds something fresh. It's like a futurebeef mixed with cod, and I don't see that as a bad thing. Would love to play this with 5punkers.
Anery
Optimus Prime
Optimus Prime

Post by Anery »

I know shooters are not really the thing right now but...http://www.pcgamesn.com/titanfall/titan ... nce-launch
Maybe a black Friday sale from Origin?
shot2bits
Zombie
Zombie

Post by shot2bits »

thread resurrection!

This is £15 on origin (i know, i know) nowadays and all the dlc seems to be free at the moment but that's for an anniversary thing so not sure how long it will be available for free but having access to all the maps is nice. I have thoroughly been enjoying kicking people in the groins and stamping on people as stompy stompy robots and more of you should grab it if its your kinda bag!
Mr. Johnson
Mr Flibbles
Mr Flibbles

Post by Mr. Johnson »

Yep, this is a great deal and you should get it.
Anery
Optimus Prime
Optimus Prime

Post by Anery »

Yayaaah!

Get this.