Call of Mechwarrior (Titanfall)

Where we come together to shoot 5punk.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Killavodka
Cheese Lord
Cheese Lord

Call of Mechwarrior (Titanfall)

Post by Killavodka »

- As I would like to call it, but Titanfall to everyone else. They appear to have released the game to some lucky folk who were dodgy enough to upload their frollicking activities:

PC Gamer Article
Last edited by spoodie on February 20th, 2014, 11:37, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added "(Titanfall)" to the title because it was confusing without.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Re: Call of Mechwarrior

Post by Dog Pants »

Isn't it only 12-player? As in 6 per side? Could still be entertaining, but it seems like an odd limitation.
Killavodka
Cheese Lord
Cheese Lord

Post by Killavodka »

The developers have stated a few times that it is the best amount given the amount of extras that can be applied in any one battle:

Other PC Gamer article
Anery
Optimus Prime
Optimus Prime

Post by Anery »

I'm not sure what to make of that.

It seems to make sense, maps would just be fucking big mech fights...wait, what's wrong with that?! If there are AI involved it should make the games more objective based rather than just kill tables - otherwise just farm the AI and whack off in a corner over your big kill score. Not sure it will help with not getting paggered from all angles though.
Joose
Turret
Turret

Post by Joose »

Killavodka wrote:The developers have stated a few times that it is the best amount given the amount of extras that can be applied in any one battle:

Other PC Gamer article
I always find that kind of argument slightly suspect. If you think 12 is the optimal number, make that the default, not the *only fucking option*. I cant believe that upping it to 14, just one extra player per side, would turn it from glorious symphony of manshooting to an unplayable crapfest. But no, if I have 13 friends who want to play, two of them are shit out of luck.
spoodie
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by spoodie »

Joose wrote:I always find that kind of argument slightly suspect. If you think 12 is the optimal number, make that the default, not the *only fucking option*. I cant believe that upping it to 14, just one extra player per side, would turn it from glorious symphony of manshooting to an unplayable crapfest. But no, if I have 13 friends who want to play, two of them are shit out of luck.
You could play something else that supports more players. To me this sounds like: "I want to play Hungry Hungry Hippos but there's 5 people, this game sucks!"

Perhaps it will allow you to up the limit on PC if you like, the game isn't released yet and it isn't Mechwarrior anyway.
Joose
Turret
Turret

Post by Joose »

spoodie wrote:You could play something else that supports more players. To me this sounds like: "I want to play Hungry Hungry Hippos but there's 5 people, this game sucks!"
Thats hardly a fair comparison. To increase the number of player slots in Hungry Hungry Hippos you would have to physically alter the game, increasing the size and complexity of it and therefore significantly increasing the cost. They haven't said "12 is the max because of technical limitations", they have said "12 is the max because we think it plays the best that way". There are more than 12 people on each side, its just that a bunch of them are AI players. Giving players the option of having less AI for more players seems better to me than saying "No! We have decided that you will have the most fun playing this way! You may not decide this!"

Also, I could go play something that supports more players. Maybe people will. Maybe those people wouldn't have if they hadn't arbitrarily decided we are not to be trusted to make our own decisions about whether we would like to play with more than "optimal" players. Maybe it's therefore dumb of them to have set those limits.

Also also: I never said the game would suck, I said their argument on why they are limiting players to 12 is silly. Those are not equivalent things.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

When a game has a multiplayer option with a low number I generally do go and play something else. In fact nowadays, after the Left 4 Deads, I just don't buy them. In this case I'll wait and see. I'm not particularly interested in it, nothing has been said about it to make me think I'll like it, but I'm not writing it off because of 12 player maps. We don't tend to get more than that number of 5punkers anyway. I do agree that it seems a harmfully arbitrary decision, but then Spoodie is right that they might very well increase that for the PC version.
Chickenz
Optimus Prime
Optimus Prime

Post by Chickenz »

I'm sure they've play tested the game to death before coming to that decision.

Personally I think they could have scaled the maps like Beef to keep the game balanced. 4v4 smaller map than a 12v12 that kind of idea.

Like somebody else mentioned earlier the AI had either be good enough the match a human player or at least be a different colour or model so they can be differentiated from. That could be a game killer for me.

Only those that have played the game at the big shows and the developers who have looked at the data have an understanding of the decision. Maybe in an earlier release they had more slots and it was a complete arse fest on the scale of 64 man metro in bf4 and it was decided to drop the numbers.

Yes it would be nice to have an option to add more people and drop the AI but when the games out and people play it they may come to the conclusion that developers made a wise choice.
Chickenz
Optimus Prime
Optimus Prime

Post by Chickenz »

As an extra note should it not be reffered to as " Tits 'n' all"??
spoodie
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Re: Call of Mechwarrior (Titanfall)

Post by spoodie »

Opinion is forming that this is actually a good game. My hopes were dashed when I saw the first real gameplay footage, but since then I've seen a couple of videos and articles report a good experience.

But I don't want to give any more money to EA. :(
Anery
Optimus Prime
Optimus Prime

Post by Anery »

Any one else pre-order?

EA are asking for 44 quid to predownload now, cunts. Amazon are asking 34 to get it delivered, and we all know Amazon deliver the day before so saved myself a tenner there, and lets face it early doors acces is not worth that extra ten quid.
Digging around I noticed a massive disparity between console and PC prices. PC is averaging at a full tenner cheaper than console versions, sometimes rising as high as twenty quid! How the fuck do these people get away with it? It seems to me that whilst the rallying cry has been for indie devs, the real indipendants we need are publishers so that the devs have somewhere else to go to publish their work - and I mean cross platform, not just PC. Of course I have no idea how complex the system is for publishing for other formats so it could be an impossible task but on the face of it, it shouldn't be that difficult?

So, um, may have gone a bit off topic.
In other news, I will be stomping around in a titan this weekend.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

Console games are more expensive for a reason though aren't they? Something about licensing and subsidised hardware? I might be making that up, but you don't need to jump through the hoops for PC that you do for consoles. I'm interested in how this pans out. I like the idea, but I'm not convinced it'll be any good. At any rate I'm fucked if I'm buying anything off Origin, and I don't have an optical drive so the DVD version is out.

Regarding publishers, as much as indie publisher is a paradox, there are a few smaller publishers who fit the small and open theme. Paradox, ironically, are very forward thinking and release great games. Devolver are dedicated to publishing indies (like Hotline Miami), and their CEO (Fork Parker) is one of the funniest guys on Twitter.
Roman Totale
Robotic Bumlord
Robotic Bumlord

Post by Roman Totale »

This sounds like the perfect game to play when we have 13 5punkers online.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

Roman Totale wrote:This sounds like the perfect game to play when we have 13 5punkers online.
I'm afraid to say I just got this. :lol:
spoodie
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by spoodie »

Anery wrote:Any one else pre-order?
I'm hearing very good things so I've just ordered it from Game for £35. That's the physical copy, but you can also purchase the download only version from there for a fiver cheaper than direct from Origin, at £40. Considering the PC version is supposed to weigh in at a heft 50GB download I'll take the physical copy. Although there'll probably be a 50GB patch as well.

It's unfortunate it's EA and on Origin, but if it's a good shooter I've got to have it.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

Current reports seem to be that it's perfectly serviceable, if not groundbreaking. Common complaints (mostly from commenters) seem to be about the 12-player servers (not a problem for us), dodgy matchmaking (like every game ever), and that the Titans aren't really all that much fun. So it's fairly promising for early days I reckon. Wish it was on Steam though.
Mr. Johnson
Mr Flibbles
Mr Flibbles

Post by Mr. Johnson »

This is one of those "I'll get it if every other 5punker gets it" type of game for me.
spoodie
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by spoodie »

It came out the other day in the US and there's the usual problems with servers at initial launch. As this is purely an online game that's a particular problem. Part of the reason I'm not too bothered about getting it right away.
Anery
Optimus Prime
Optimus Prime

Post by Anery »

I've not seen many of the problems that a lot of people have reported. I have been unable to connect to lobby once and I have suffered disconnects twice - I had more trouble with PunkBuster and CoD4.

Game is good, chaotic, mental. Kill cam is there as an option when you die

However...

I'm well into the campaign mode (PvP but the fights follow some kind of storyline) and I have yet to win a fight. Now I realise the common denominator is me but statistically speaking I should have been carried to at least one victory, if my poor performance (assuming I am totally shite and not mid - top table which is the actual) is enough to drag a side down then team size needs to be addressed.