STALKER: Call of Pripyat

Where we come together to shoot 5punk.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

Grah. I keep getting eaten by Snorks, and my AK74U doesn't seem to deter them very much.
spoodie
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by spoodie »

Dog Pants wrote:Grah. I keep getting eaten by Snorks, and my AK74U doesn't seem to deter them very much.
Keep a shotgun handy for close encounters. 3-5 shots and they're down.
Dr. kitteny berk
Morbo
Morbo

Post by Dr. kitteny berk »

Snorks? in the
Spoiler:
underground snork layer mission thing
?

I did that with a knife, due to an ammo fuckup on my part.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

It's the
Spoiler:
plateau
actually. I'm too early in the game to have anything very eppective to shoot them with. Might be worth going back to base for my shotty though, which did work nicely last time in the bit Berk mentioned. Just means I'll have to
Spoiler:
follow Noah through that fucking stupid anomoly minefield that he fucks off and leaves me in
again.
deject
Berk
Berk

Post by deject »

I didn't realize that
Spoiler:
Noah stops being hostile to you, I just shot his face off. He was surprisingly hard to kill for an unarmored target.
buzzmong
Weighted Storage Cube
Weighted Storage Cube

Post by buzzmong »

deject wrote:I didn't realize that
Spoiler:
Noah stops being hostile to you, I just shot his face off. He was surprisingly hard to kill for an unarmored target.
:lol: Yeah, you've fucked up :)
Spoiler:
He gives you some nice information and artifacts later, specifically one (twice) that isn't obtainable anywhere else afaik
Sheriff Fatman
Optimus Prime
Optimus Prime

Post by Sheriff Fatman »

Dog Pants wrote:
Spoiler:
follow Noah through that fucking stupid anomoly minefield that he fucks off and leaves me in
deject
Berk
Berk

Post by deject »

buzzmong wrote:
:lol: Yeah, you've fucked up :)
Spoiler:
He gives you some nice information and artifacts later, specifically one (twice) that isn't obtainable anywhere else afaik
You can just loot the info and artifacts off him, so I didn't fuck up. :P
buzzmong
Weighted Storage Cube
Weighted Storage Cube

Post by buzzmong »

deject wrote:
You can just loot the info and artifacts off him, so I didn't fuck up. :P
Does he carry both
Spoiler:
compass
artifacts from the off then? Awww.
buzzmong
Weighted Storage Cube
Weighted Storage Cube

Post by buzzmong »

Also, the very top left of Yanov, past the ash anomoly. Go have a looksee.
deject
Berk
Berk

Post by deject »

buzzmong wrote:
Does he carry both
Spoiler:
compass
artifacts from the off then? Awww.
I can't remember exactly, but you still get 2 Compass artifacts and the info to
Spoiler:
jump off the plateau at the Burnt Village

Also if you're talking about the
Spoiler:
crashed predator UAV
, yeah I found that. I was disappointed at how small of an improvement the stats on
Spoiler:
Strelok's Sgi-5k was over my M4 after upgrading them both fully. It definitely wasn't worth the extra 1.2kg of weight. Now the G36 I got off those asshole mercs was worth it, even without the ability to mount a grenade launcher or silencer, because it's so goddamn accurate and the scope on it is wicked.
buzzmong
Weighted Storage Cube
Weighted Storage Cube

Post by buzzmong »

I'm messing with weapons at the moment.

The G36 upgraded is silly awesome and I've got unlimited 5.56 SS190 thanks to killing off all the mutants for the hunting quests.

But the 9mm firing Val and Tunder do quite a bit more damage over the 5.56mm weapons (well, apart from Strelok's which is or par with the Tunder), but the trade off is that the ammo weighs a fuckton more. Something like a single box of 5.56 being 0.17kg and a box of 9mm being 0.7kg. Adds up when you're trying to carry 1k ammo around.

The Tunder is quite nice as it's got the launcher, but the Val can mount the scopes (apparently the Tunder can't) and upgraded it's all round slightly better than the G36. I think the Val might have more severe bullet drop as well, despite being upgraded.

I'm just not sure the efficency of the ammo counteracts the weight difference, although it was nice felling a controller with one clip from the Tunder.
deject
Berk
Berk

Post by deject »

buzzmong wrote:I'm messing with weapons at the moment.

The G36 upgraded is silly awesome and I've got unlimited 5.56 SS190 thanks to killing off all the mutants for the hunting quests.

But the 9mm firing Val and Tunder do quite a bit more damage over the 5.56mm weapons (well, apart from Strelok's which is or par with the Tunder), but the trade off is that the ammo weighs a fuckton more. Something like a single box of 5.56 being 0.17kg and a box of 9mm being 0.7kg. Adds up when you're trying to carry 1k ammo around.

The Tunder is quite nice as it's got the launcher, but the Val can mount the scopes (apparently the Tunder can't) and upgraded it's all round slightly better than the G36. I think the Val might have more severe bullet drop as well, despite being upgraded.

I'm just not sure the efficency of the ammo counteracts the weight difference, although it was nice felling a controller with one clip from the Tunder.
Yeah I think my favorite loadout would be a Tunder and a Vintar BC. The Vintar with the flatness upgrades makes for an excellent long range gun, provided you can reliably get headshots, which if you have the 5x scope you should be able to do easily. Plus, it's one of two guns that can do the target recognition like your binoculars do, which is rather handy at night. I took the Tunder because I have a ton of VOG-25 grenades and 9x39mm ammo so it seemed like a good fit. Having two weapons that share ammo goes a long way to reducing your carry weight, obviously. I think for the majority of the game though I used my trusty M4 and the Vintar BC. yeah the M4 isn't quite as good as the other 5.56 NATO guns, but it's definitely good enough to get the job done against anything except chimeras, pseudogiants, and burers. It's pretty damn accurate, and you can upgrade it to the highest RPM of all the assault rifles I believe.
buzzmong
Weighted Storage Cube
Weighted Storage Cube

Post by buzzmong »

I never worry about RPM, there's only been two or three situations where I've needed to fill things with lead rather than take measured headshots, so I'm mostly on single fire.
Sheriff Fatman
Optimus Prime
Optimus Prime

Post by Sheriff Fatman »

buzzmong wrote:(apparently the Tunder can't)
I think the snazzy Tunder you get from Nimble can take a scope. I'm not a big fan of it so I never tried. The head Duty guy has one on his office wall.
deject
Berk
Berk

Post by deject »

That's why I carry a Vintar as well. It's got awesome scope upgrades.
buzzmong
Weighted Storage Cube
Weighted Storage Cube

Post by buzzmong »

Sheriff Fatman wrote:I think the snazzy Tunder you get from Nimble can take a scope. I'm not a big fan of it so I never tried. The head Duty guy has one on his office wall.
Yeah, I spotted that but the Tunder you get get Nimble is 5.45....and I've sold it already.

Apparently irl the Groza OC-14 (the real Tunder) can accept scopes, and I'm sure it could in SoC (or, with the uber mods anyway) but doesn't look like it in CoP, shame otherwise it would probably be the best weapon with a PS1 night scope.
Sheriff Fatman
Optimus Prime
Optimus Prime

Post by Sheriff Fatman »

buzzmong wrote:
Yeah, I spotted that but the Tunder you get get Nimble is 5.45....and I've sold it already.

Apparently irl the Groza OC-14 (the real Tunder) can accept scopes, and I'm sure it could in SoC (or, with the uber mods anyway) but doesn't look like it in CoP, shame otherwise it would probably be the best weapon with a PS1 night scope.
I would probably be a doddle to mod it yourself, if you knew where to look.
buzzmong
Weighted Storage Cube
Weighted Storage Cube

Post by buzzmong »

My goodness. The end is terrible, and then a dialogue box. Really now.
spoodie
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by spoodie »

buzzmong wrote:My goodness. The end is terrible, and then a dialogue box. Really now.
The whole last area was a bit of a disappoint after the first two. But on the whole it was very enjoyable.