STALKER: Call of Pripyat

Where we come together to shoot 5punk.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

spoodie
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

STALKER: Call of Pripyat

Post by spoodie »

Is anyone else playing this? Because I'm really enjoying it and I couldn't find another thread.

It's like the original STALKER but it actually works quite well and is a more rounded game. It's not entirely bug free and I have to close three of my standard background apps for it to even start. But any bugs are usually unimportant and sometimes funny. Like glitched animation. The zone seems a lot more interesting and convincing due to the variety of anomalies and the population appears better designed. Perhaps things improved in Clear Sky but I didn't get very far into that.

I stopped playing Bioshock 2 because this was more entertaining.
Dr. kitteny berk
Morbo
Morbo

Post by Dr. kitteny berk »

I've played some of it, but needing to kill everything that uses an overlay to make it work makes me not want to play.
Shada
Shambler
Shambler

Post by Shada »

Played it, still playing it, love it.
Sheriff Fatman
Optimus Prime
Optimus Prime

Post by Sheriff Fatman »

Shada wrote:Played it, still playing it, love it.
:above:
deject
Berk
Berk

Post by deject »

Shada wrote:Played it, still playing it, love it.
:above: I've made it to the second area, and it's awesome. The only things I am not liking so far is needing to get tools and people not buying guns that are like below 70%. I had a huge stash of guns that I had picked up and then I realized that no one would buy them. :(
spoodie
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by spoodie »

deject wrote:I had a huge stash of guns that I had picked up and then I realized that no one would buy them. :(
I thought that was obvious from the start. It's dependant on the condition of the weapon isn't it?

It seems to be all about finding and selling artefacts. I've got more than enough money from a few of those.
Dr. kitteny berk wrote:I've played some of it, but needing to kill everything that uses an overlay to make it work makes me not want to play.
What?
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

Just thinking about the original Stalker again is making me want to give this a shot. I was pretty lukewarm to it at first, but about halfway through the game (ie, once I had decent kit) I really got into it. The anomalies are nice and unique to the license, and I like how it gives the illusion of being open ended even though it isn't really. I think I'll go look it up to tide me over until BACON comes out.
mrbobbins
Robotic Despot
Robotic Despot

Post by mrbobbins »

I'm definitely going to get this after I finish Bioshock 2, I really liked both previous games.

I did see that there's a discount on Steam if you have either of the previous games, looks like that only applies to having bought them on Steam though :roll:
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

Just ordered it off Amazon, it's only £2 more than Steam and I'll get it faster :p
spoodie
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by spoodie »

A tip for new players then.

I watched this video before I started playing: http://www.giantbomb.com/quick-look-sta ... t/17-2039/ It really got me interested and helped me "get" how I'm supposed to play the game from the start. As you're plonked fairly unceremoniously into the world, with only a ropey intro to guide you, you could be bit confused about what you're supposed to do. Long story short; go to the nearest landlocked ship, that's your first town.
Shada
Shambler
Shambler

Post by Shada »

If you run in a straight line the moment you appear in the forest you run straight into a loner stalker who tells you exactly what's what and where to go. It's only counterintuitive if your first instinct is to veer off down the sheer cliff to your left or right and get mauled by dogs.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

Shada wrote: It's only counterintuitive if your first instinct is to veer off down the sheer cliff to your left or right and get mauled by dogs.
5punkers here :wave:
mrbobbins
Robotic Despot
Robotic Despot

Post by mrbobbins »

Dog Pants wrote:
5punkers here :wave:
Yup

"Hmm a road, I bet they want me to go down it, they wont get me!, HA I'll out fox them by falling off this cliff"
spoodie
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by spoodie »

Shada wrote:If you run in a straight line the moment you appear in the forest you run straight into a loner stalker who tells you exactly what's what and where to go. It's only counterintuitive if your first instinct is to veer off down the sheer cliff to your left or right and get mauled by dogs.
Think on my first attempt I shot those two stalkers and then went to look at the big boiler anomaly.
Dr. kitteny berk
Morbo
Morbo

spoodie wrote:What?
A lot of people, myself included have found that it doesn't run right if something that uses an overlay (xfire, steam, fraps) is running, as it (apparently) hooks into the splash screen and breaks stuff.

This for me is a game breaking bug, I like to be able to just play, rather than fucking about restarting stuff.
spoodie
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by spoodie »

Dr. kitteny berk wrote:A lot of people, myself included have found that it doesn't run right if something that uses an overlay (xfire, steam, fraps) is running, as it (apparently) hooks into the splash screen and breaks stuff.
Oh I see. I have the same problem, Xfire, Fraps and Daemon Tools all have to be shutdown. But I'm enjoying the game so I put up with this minor irritation. It only takes a couple of seconds for me.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

spoodie wrote:big boiler anomaly.
Image?
HereComesPete
Throbbing Cupcake
Throbbing Cupcake

Post by HereComesPete »

Berk?
Dr. kitteny berk
Morbo
Morbo

Yes?
HereComesPete
Throbbing Cupcake
Throbbing Cupcake

Post by HereComesPete »

Been growing your hair and losing weight I see.