Where we come together to shoot 5punk.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

deject
Berk
Berk

Metro 2033

Post by deject »

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2009/10 ... more-20065

Being made by an offshoot of the GSG Game World team behind the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. games. This game looks pretty sweet.
Dr. kitteny berk
Morbo
Morbo

Post by Dr. kitteny berk »

I saw some stuff about that a while ago, looks interesting
buzzmong
Weighted Storage Cube
Weighted Storage Cube

Post by buzzmong »

Hmm, FPS Fallout style could be promising.
HereComesPete
Throbbing Cupcake
Throbbing Cupcake

Post by HereComesPete »

buzzmong wrote:Hmm, FPS Fallout style could be promising.
I found fallout 3 with a first person mod to offer a similar thing...
buzzmong
Weighted Storage Cube
Weighted Storage Cube

Post by buzzmong »

No need to be flippant, you know what I mean. I suspect this'll have less RPG elements than Fallout.
HereComesPete
Throbbing Cupcake
Throbbing Cupcake

Post by HereComesPete »

I'd imagine so, likely a bit more than stalker but not much.

The baldy guy walking through the trailer is straight out of stalker.
buzzmong
Weighted Storage Cube
Weighted Storage Cube

Re: Metro 2033

Post by buzzmong »

Fred Revive!

I'm mostly having a gripe as I'm currently playing through Last Light (the 2013 version, not the Redux).

Whichever muppet at 4A Games decided that programming and animating a cabaret show was more important that being able to have any indication of remaining ammo on Ranger mode is a pleb.
I mean honestly, I've got less information now in Ranger mode than I'd have in real life, where I'd at least know I've got a magazine or two spare and I'd know I'm down to my last few shotgun shells just by having a quick feel in my pocket.

LL has the better engine and plays better (ie, that physical feeling), but 2033 is the better game and story from what I've seen so far of LL.
FatherJack
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by FatherJack »

I've never gotten into either of them and am unsure whether to play them in order or just the second one. I'm told there's still some of that "loads of monsters charging right at you" mechanic which turned me off in 2033 in LL, but that the monsters are more varied. People who've played a lot of both say the second has the more interesting story with its trips to the surface where a new world is just beginning, a world where humans are the unwelcome intruders. They have said it's a bit preachy though, what with Man being the architect of his own downfall.

I'm not sure how far you can take "realism" modes without someone complaining. There's no way to simulate what you describe (feeling if you have some ammo left but not exactly how much) without a GUI element, and then people complain that GUI elements fly in the face of realism.

I think it depends on quantity - in a regular shoot all-that-moves game you really need an ammo counter, but in a slower paced game where you might only use a gun as a last resort you can easily count each bullet yourself. It sounds like ranger mode is pretending to be the latter when it's in fact the former.
buzzmong
Weighted Storage Cube
Weighted Storage Cube

Post by buzzmong »

I've finished LL now.

It's worth playing, but 2033 is definitely the better experience. LL gets a bit bang-bang-bang of plot points near the end, and there's a few arena-style boss fights which are unnecessary. Some genuinely creepy bits above ground and a few places off the track in the tunnels are awesome. The final mission is a bit of a letdown though, I was expecting to be able to play with more toys.

@FJ:
Yeah, I concur there's always going to be a tradeoff, but I think the Red Orchestra 2 system is perhaps the best middleground between game and realism, with having a magazine count but not knowing how full they are until you put them in the gun, along with being able to spot check current mags. I think LL's Ranger mode would definitely have benefitted from a little bit more information.