Recommended YouTube Channels

For talk on Movies, TV, Music & Books

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Thompy
Shambler In Drag
Shambler In Drag

Recommended YouTube Channels

Post by Thompy »

Like many people now, I don't watch TV. Any program I particularly want to watch can be found on iPlayer or equivalent and streaming services and sweeping provide things not on TV. Then there's YouTube which now has the capacity to provide quality entertainment, rather then just cat videos (hilarious as they are) and types of content you just can't get anywhere else. I used to have about eight subs but now I'm down to just three, all gaming related, and I'm finding my video based entertainment to be a bit sparse.

So, recommendations go, any genre!

To start:

TotalBiscuit - I don't think he needs any explaining, you probably like him or don't, but regardless he's one of the best sources for video game impressions.
BirgirPall - gaming hilarity and silliness, usually based on bugs or just messing around. Not uploading much at the moment.
horse Strategy Gaming - gaming variety channel. Small news show, impressions of new games, opinion pieces. Doesn't cover as many different games as say TB but goes into more detail sometimes with system overviews. Nice bloke.
Wiggy
5pork
5pork

Re: Recommended YouTube Channels

Post by Wiggy »

I have some that I frequent, maybe you will too.

OfficialNerdCubed, Cinemassacre and Stockoglaws for Let's Play / game review type stuff
VICE, because it's damn interesting
Failarmy, because I like to laugh at people falling over
Slimtronic5k, Diamond Dallas Page, Jake Roberts, because I like the inspiration which is good for me when I'm trying to be less fat, but I'm also inherently lazy
BadLipReading, which is brilliant
ExplosmEntertainment, the guy who does the Cyanide and Happiness comics

I'll probably think of more and not update this later
The Shutting Downs
Ninja Pirate
Ninja Pirate

Post by The Shutting Downs »

WatchMojo - lists of top tens in all sorts of subjects, usually some interesting stuff.

Cinema Sins - What movies did wrong, but funny and on a point score basis.

ItsJustSomeRandomGuy - He has a lot of superhero figures and it's like a comic themed 'adam and joe show' if you remember that, quite funny

Batinthesun - Superhero 1 on 1 fights, but acted out, good costuming and well filmed.

LORE - Different video game Lore like this http://youtu.be/-MeVxKZBOfM

yahtzee19 - Yahtzee of ZP fame on his own channel, he has a few 'lets play' along with )I believe) the guy who does C&H, but they have recently been doing a series of 'lets drown out' to talk over a game instead of say what is going on.
Grimmie
Master of Soviet Propaganda
Master of Soviet Propaganda

Post by Grimmie »

Confession. I'm a bit of a YouTube addict.

I used to watch TB and YogsCast quite a bit, but I've gone off them a bit. YogsCast upload so frequently now I don't even bother to watch any of their videos. I'll try and highlight a few "lesser known" YT channels as I go through my subscriptions.

Learning
Nucleus Medial Media - They make 3D animations of the human body to show how various viruses, infections and medical cures effect the body. I like learning about stuff like this, and the animations make the science much easier to understand.
Drew Berry Animation - More of the same, neat little atomic scale protein visualisations.
TED Talks - Technology Entertainment and Design. You've probably heard of it, but they're fantastic. I see so many scientists proposing so many fantastic ideas every day. This guy who has come up with a 1x1cm square patch vaccine delivery system which has better immune system adoption, is painless, cheaper, doesn't need refridgeration and last longer blew me away today.
Crash Course - Learn about the sciences, world history, US history, literature and ecology in incredibly well presented, fun, bitesize videos. Most of the YouTube comments are along the lines of "I learnt more in this 10 minute video than all the lectures my university professor gave last week. Thanks!"
Siggraph - Technical papers from brainy people working with computers. The "Emerging technologies" trailers are particularly impressive.

Video games
Jon Tron - A shouty, excitable guy giving heartfelt reviews of retro games. I like his style, you might not.
Mack's Corner - Mack, from Mack and Mesh fame. I find him to be the funnier of the two. Again, I like his style but his constant in-game procrastinating might not appeal to everyone. I find it endearing. His let's play of Outlast was particularly nail-biting, and listening to him embellishing the story with his own humorous take made it very, very watchable. (Guys! Guys? Guys. Guys.)
Worth a buy? - More from Mack, little "Is this game any good or not?" videos. Usually pretty genuine.
CubeX55 Longplays - Longplays of every bloody game you could imagine, taking full advantage of YouTube's recent unlimited upload length. Oldschool consoles, newer ones, PC games, DOS games. Go check them out.
Disco - This guy makes really cool stuff using redstone (and maybe modded stuff?) in Minecraft. His works sometimes got Featured on YogsCast when they were cool.
Marphitimus Blackimus - He's got a bunch of lets plays under the banner of "Obscure first person shooter" series. They're pretty cool.
MotDef - He finds hilarious bugs in games. I have no idea how. Think Bigirpal without the voiceover.
Peter Molydeux - The spoof of Peter Molyneux's channel. Worth keeping an eye on. Emulates the real thing really well.

Music
Smooth McGroove - Acapella versions of videogame music by a bearded wizard with a cat. I found it through a routine search for "Chemical Plant Zone". Best sonic music.
Pogo - Extremely talented videographer and splicer of classic animation films to make happy little tunes.
Miracle of Sound - Bearded Irish guy who makes pretty cool songs based on videogames. You've probably heard "Sovngarde Song" or "Nord Ale". If not, go listen.
Mr Bonus Stage - He does videogame covers on the piano. Very talented too.

Other stuff
Diagonal UK - A "Sideways look at the news". Usually quirky little stories with subtitled descriptions.
British Pathé - Yep. Old videos from the showreels. Good stuff.
Henry Phillips - Roman and I went to see this guy live. He's great. You'll probably know him from Henry's Kitchen.

Phew.
Roman Totale
Robotic Bumlord
Robotic Bumlord

Post by Roman Totale »

Maru - the best damn cat on the planet
Yerin - ridiculously cute Korean child
5 Second Films - Films. That are 5 seconds long.
CGP Grey - super informative and concise videos
How It Should Have Ended - animated videos offering alternative endings to popular films and TV programs
spoodie
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by spoodie »

Some good stuff here. My subscriptions needed freshening up.

People explaining things in an entertaining way:
Computerphile - Computing related
Numberphile - Maths related
Sixty Symbols - Science related

Others:
Truthloader - An ITN backed news channel that's down with the kids (people younger than me), often covering hard-hitting stories.
TommyEdisonXP - A blind man answers question about what it's like to be blind. A bloody nice and upbeat bloke.
Joose
Turret
Turret

Post by Joose »

I watch videoey things, but I rarely go to Youtube to do so (even though some of them are actually using Youtube to host them). I'll add them to the list anyway, it seems roughly appropriate.

Shut Up and Sit Down: Board game news and reviews site, but actually worth watching the videos even if you are not all that interested in board games as the two main guys on SU&SD (Quinns and Paul) and bloody funny. Plus there is a decent chance that you will become interested in board games as a result.

Tabletop: Another boardgaming series (and actually a YouTube channel. I did not know that). This is more like a Lets Play for boardgames than a review site. Will Wheaton gets his variably famous mates to play board games with him. He loses a lot. Some of the episodes are really funny, some are kind of painful (It turns out that professional comedians and actors tend to be better at being entertaining on the spot than nerdy games designers. Who woulda thought?!) but theres far more good than bad. Plus, you may discover that you have been playing a boardgame wrong for ages. I did.

Spellslingers Another one from Geek and Sundry, like Tabletop. And anther one about tabletop games. Apparently I only watch videos about tabletop games. This one is Day9 playing Magic the Gathering against his famous mates. Its entertaining and aimed more at newcomers to the game than the footage you can watch of the big tournament games. They spend a bit more time explaining what's going on and why people make the decisions they do.