Anime recommendations

For talk on Movies, TV, Music & Books

Moderator: Forum Moderators

cashy
Zombie
Zombie

Post by cashy »

w3rthers wrote:Someone mentioned Samurai Champloo which is ace don't usually like anime series but got hooked on it, its got pirates in some episodes so a winner in my book yarr. The hip hop sound track is amazing too, good hip hop not gansta shit.

:above: QFT

Although the dubbed version is cack, subtitled FTW
w3rthers
Kitten
Kitten

Post by w3rthers »

Havnt seen the dubbed version but I can imagine the horror.
MORDETH LESTOK
Ninja Pirate
Ninja Pirate

Post by MORDETH LESTOK »

Aki showed me the way of anime...I asked him for something adultish, bloody violent and complicated...he gave me Samurai Champloo which was perfect to/for me :likesitall:

He also told me of Black Lagoon which is also adultish and bloody violent. I've seen 22 of the 24 episodes...I have stopped as I don't want to see it end...hmm...nothing else to watch...time for closure... :ninja:

Aki...where art thou?
cashy
Zombie
Zombie

Post by cashy »

Suprised it hasn't popped up in here, but i guess it did have its own thread when it was released.

Afro samurai: Samuel L Jackson plays a... well, a reef smoking comical relief who follows the lead character around basically. Story being theres one magic head band thing that makes the wearer immortal, but in the interest of fairness theres another one that allows the wearer to kill said immortal. The first episode shows a young afro watching his father, the 'number one', get slain by the 'number two', setting a path of revenge for the small hairy one. An extremely bloody path of revenge.

It only lasted for 6 or so episodes, but Jackson alone makes it worth the watch. A+++++++
Akiakaiu
Shambler In Drag
Shambler In Drag

Post by Akiakaiu »

MORDETH LESTOK wrote:O Aki where art thou?

Out getting my Dapper Dan. As for anime, nothing new like Black Lagoon out recently. Although Mononoke has kept my attention so far. Shinsen, the group that subbed BL is also doing Mononoke, actually, I think the Shinsen subs are about all I watch anymore.
Stoat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Stoat »

Nodame Cantabile
Classical music based comedy drama. No robots, no maids, no superpowers, little in the way of actual action and a reasonably low jubbly count. For those still reading: it's quite nice to look at, has a top sound track, is funny and rather engaging. Also available in Hilariously Low Budget Live Action flavour.

-
I watched the Evangelions recently to be ready for The Rebuild Of Evangelion. Jesus. *kicks Shinji until he dies*.

Is Mononoke worth watching? I saw the first two but I can't seem to get excited about it.
buzzmong
Weighted Storage Cube
Weighted Storage Cube

Post by buzzmong »

Rebuild of Evangelion.....

I kinda wish they'd leave it alone now, I prefer the ending of the series as well to the films, less definate, which is what imo Eva was about, but I still can't help wanting MOAR.

Still, had a gander at the new ones, Eva design has changed slightly, not enough to worry about, so looking forward to it really.
Baliame
Tremors Worm
Tremors Worm

Post by Baliame »

Noone mentioned Blue Gender yet as I see. It's one of those post-apocalyptic animes where some random alien race captures earth. It has bugs. And blood. And lots of marines. And surprise buttsecks. It's made of win.
mrbobbins
Robotic Despot
Robotic Despot

Post by mrbobbins »

Stoat wrote:Is Mononoke worth watching? I saw the first two but I can't seem to get excited about it.

Yeah!, it's my favourite Miyazaki :likesitall:
eion
Grammar Nazi
Grammar Nazi

Post by eion »

mrbobbins wrote:Yeah!, it's my favourite Miyazaki :likesitall:

I don't know if it's my favourite Miyazaki, but it's certainly worth watching.
spoodie
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by spoodie »

My review in this thread gives you all the info you need on Mononoke: http://www.5punk.co.uk/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=4005 :)
Stoat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Stoat »

I've seen Princess Mononoke. It's quite good.
I was referring to Mononoke.
I've not seen Blue Gender though, I might check that out.
spoodie
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by spoodie »

Stoat wrote:I've seen Princess Mononoke. It's quite good.
I was referring to Mononoke.
I've not seen Blue Gender though, I might check that out.

Ah I see, my anime knowledge is limited.
FatherJack
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by FatherJack »

I finally got around to watching Paprika last night, and was rather impressed, although the ending felt a little rushed. I have the music from the parade looping in my head today, which is ten times better than some chart garbage I listened to accidentally being in there.
spoodie
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by spoodie »

FatherJack wrote:I finally got around to watching Paprika last night, and was rather impressed, although the ending felt a little rushed. I have the music from the parade looping in my head today, which is ten times better than some chart garbage I listened to accidentally being in there.

I don't know what it is but I like the pictures on IMDb. And there's a bluray version on lovefilm, ding!
Grimmie
Master of Soviet Propaganda
Master of Soviet Propaganda

Post by Grimmie »

Paprika is good.
tehspork
Kitten
Kitten

Post by tehspork »

Here's my abridged list:

One Piece - American dubs are horrible, don't know about other dubs. That ruined this epic anime for most.
Yakitate Ja-Pan - Show about baking bread. or fighting bakers of some sort.
Lucky Star - Kinda like Azumanga Diaoh
Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei - About a teacher who wants to commit suicide and his class of stereotypes.
Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann - The best mecha anime EVER with the giantest robots EVER.
Mushishi - If you like Miyazaki, you might like this one.
MORDETH LESTOK
Ninja Pirate
Ninja Pirate

Post by MORDETH LESTOK »

FatherJack
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by FatherJack »

MORDETH LESTOK wrote:Death Note goes Hollywood
It's a good story and I guess it's a good thing that more people will get to see it that would never go near any of the previous works. Like the Ring and Dark Water (and The Uninvited, probably), they'll likely hamfist the tension but the great story will shine through.

They will struggle to find a worse actress than the one who played Misa and I was never entirely convinced by Ryuk's voice, but could do a lot worse than the guy who played L and the actress who played the little girl in the third film.
Baliame
Tremors Worm
Tremors Worm

Post by Baliame »

I really enjoyed the anime version of it, but there's this japanese two-part movie version which is really just SHIT. It was also missing a character really, I would've loved to see Near in a moviefied version. I guess Hollywood can do better.

Now that I think of it, 24 is really just a hollywood-series-version of Death Note, with less books and more Bauer.