New season talk type thread thing.

For talk on Movies, TV, Music & Books

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Roman Totale
Robotic Bumlord
Robotic Bumlord

Re: New season talk type thread thing.

Post by Roman Totale »

Nope, regional. Series 2 has been available on DVD for a while here - nearly picked it up as I thought Netflix might not be doing it.
Mr. Johnson
Mr Flibbles
Mr Flibbles

Post by Mr. Johnson »

Odd.
Roman Totale
Robotic Bumlord
Robotic Bumlord

Post by Roman Totale »

Luke Cage

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ymw5uvViqPU[/youtube]

Iron Fist

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCSPda7xQ3s[/youtube]

The Defenders

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBZtM8q2Z1g[/youtube]
Joose
Turret
Turret

Post by Joose »

Luke Cage looks ace, cant wait for that. Feels like they are underselling Iron Fist a bit.
Roman Totale
Robotic Bumlord
Robotic Bumlord

Post by Roman Totale »

Legion

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4SZ3rMMYBLY[/youtube]

Wow, did not expect that series. If you didn't already know, in the comics Legion is the son of Professor X and is incredibly powerful, but is also severely mentally ill. He can absorb other people's psyches and powers, but with the side effect of basically having multiple personalities (and not all of them are nice).

It's Fox and Marvel working together, and they use the word 'mutant', so this won't be crossing over into the Marvel stuff on TV or cinema.
Roman Totale
Robotic Bumlord
Robotic Bumlord

Post by Roman Totale »

Stranger Things on Netflix is really good. There are some corny tropes in it, but it gets better and better with each episode (I'm rationing myself to one a day). Very strong Stephen King vibe to it.
Roman Totale
Robotic Bumlord
Robotic Bumlord

Post by Roman Totale »

I finished Stranger Things, and I did enjoy it, but holy fuck are people going overboard in making out it's the best TV series ever. It's good, but not second coming of Christ good.

There was an article on the Guardian (sorry) earlier about 'Internet Hysteria'. Whilst the article was focusing on things like hate mobs, I think it equally applies to over the top reactions to things like TV series. I'm certain it's some sort of herd mentality thing where people must constantly reassure others "Yes, I like that thing too!". Just like memes and reference humour.
Mr. Johnson
Mr Flibbles
Mr Flibbles

Post by Mr. Johnson »

I noticed a similar thing with other's reactions. I liked stranger things, but great soundtrack and a couple of good performances aside (good job, kids!) it's a pretty mediocre show. For me it's a bit let down by a very weak monster that looked more like a resident evil boss than anything from Stan Winston which seemed to be the vibe they were going for. I assumed for the entire show that a bigger, better monster was going to show up near the end.
spoodie
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by spoodie »

Stranger Things is certainly not the best show ever, but it's hard for me to find fault with any specific aspect of it. Absorbing acting, compelling story, great soundtrack and achieving that overall '80s feel and style is very impressive. However the creature CG was a bit naff, once fully revealed and maybe it was a little drawn out over 10 episodes. I'd be very happy to see a second season, but I thought that about True Detective ...

Preacher was very enjoyable overall. Which is now finished and all episodes on Amazon Prime.
Dr. kitteny berk
Morbo
Morbo

Post by Dr. kitteny berk »

Stranger things is interesting to me, I watched it, it was good.

But it's left me with no desire to go OH GOD THAT WAS THE BEST THING EVER.

More a "Yeah, watch that, it's pretty good and feels like the 80s"
Roman Totale
Robotic Bumlord
Robotic Bumlord

Post by Roman Totale »

Luke Cage main trailer

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ytkjQvSk2VA[/youtube]

Looks much better than the first one. Liked the shot of him getting out of the tank
Roman Totale
Robotic Bumlord
Robotic Bumlord

Post by Roman Totale »

iZombie

Despite the name and the concept, not only is this not shit, but it's also surprisingly entertaining as well. In brief, woman gets turned into a zombie so quits her job as a doctor and starts to work in a morgue for easy and humane access to brains. Consuming the brains gives her some of the memories, abilities and traits of the person whose brain she has eaten. Using this skill she helps the police solve murders by eating the brain of the victim.

Sounds daft, but it works. Pretty much gets straight into things as well without building up hours of backstory.
Roman Totale
Robotic Bumlord
Robotic Bumlord

Post by Roman Totale »

There is a new live action series of The Tick starting on Amazon - and it stars Peter Serafinowicz as the titular hero! I've watched the pilot episode and I think it might be pretty good.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

I found a series I like! It's Stranger Things. I think the 80s theme (the kids make it feel a bit Goonies) and cinematography (like the atmosphere shots of creaking swing-chairs before scenes) clicks with me. The lovely electro and 80s music helps too. Merely making past the first episode elevates it above many. If I survive the whole season then it'll be particularly remarkable.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

I finished the series! Okay, it was only 8 episodes long, but that's an achievement. It felt very John Carpenter, which occurred to me when I saw the teacher watching The Thing. I was a bit disappointed by the ending, but it wasn't awful. Just not that interesting. All in all, I can't remember the last American series I watched all the way through, so this ranks highly.
Joose
Turret
Turret

Post by Joose »

Yeah, I really enjoyed it too. The ending was obvious series two setup, but it wasnt terrible for it. It was all quite Stephen King too, and damn near everything he ever did had a shit end.

It was quite John Carpenter too. But also a little Stephen Spielberg. Highly enjoyable.
Roman Totale
Robotic Bumlord
Robotic Bumlord

Post by Roman Totale »

Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

:)
Dr. kitteny berk
Morbo
Morbo

Post by Dr. kitteny berk »

Gotham, Lucifer and The Blacklist this week.

What're you watching and what are you skipping?
FatherJack
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by FatherJack »

I got tired about six episodes before the end of the last Gotham, it just seemed to be going in circles. I have a shitload of old stuff to watch and only typically watch 1 hr of TV a day.