Norman's Guy

Talk on any game/console that doesn't have its own forum, including browser-based games

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Re: Norman's Guy

Post by Dog Pants »

Dr. kitteny berk wrote:The internet seems to hate this more than a bastard hybrid of trump, pokemon go and spore, I can only assume the hypetrain rolled through and upset people?
And yet it remains at 7 on the Steam charts. So far, so internet.

Joose
Turret
Turret

Post by Joose »

haha
The Internet wrote:BOYCOTT MW2!

I mean, *you* boycott it. I'm not going to.
Roman Totale
Robotic Bumlord
Robotic Bumlord

Post by Roman Totale »

Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

Same applies - lots of spurned fanboy hyperbole (and one spoiler, which I had worked out anyway). On the one hand, everything shown in that trailer is probably in the game. On the other hand, not a great deal happens 90% of the time.
Grimmie
Master of Soviet Propaganda

Post by Grimmie »

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bR_RJ1Kfgu0[/youtube]

This video's pretty insightful too.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

Yeah, that one makes a good point. I have to admit, whether you enjoy NMS as a nice space-exploring walking simulator or lament it as a lie passed off as the omnigame holy grail, you can't escape the feeling that it's missing opportunities for greatness.
Grimmie

Post by Grimmie »

I'm almost certainly going to get it when it comes down in price, I love the concept, and the design really flicks all my sci-fi switches. My only reservation at this point, ignoring the potential the game had and squandered, is the triple-A price point for an indie game. £25 maybe?

Having played plenty, what would you have paid for it if it operated under a pay-what-you-want scheme, Pants?
FatherJack
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by FatherJack »

I was going to get it free in a PS4 bundle, but the deal expired, plus they are announcing a new PS4 in a week or two. I kind of got bored of it just from our brief exposure at the bash, I could see myself lazily playing it on a dull afternoon, but not really getting excited enough to pay more than the tenner I paid for Minecraft at the time that I bought that.
Joose
Turret
Turret

Post by Joose »

I would say high end indie game price would be more reasonable, as that is basically what it is. So £15-20 range.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

Yeah, agreed with Joose. £20 is the price that keeps popping into my mind. As I've said before, I've got more value for money out of NMS than I have out of a lot of games, so I'm not unhappy, but I couldn't recommend it at this price. I reckon it'll come down or go on a sale pretty soon unless they add a lot of content.
Roman Totale
Robotic Bumlord
Robotic Bumlord

Post by Roman Totale »

Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

Yeah, I've read about that. Could be a bug or an oversight, but if it's deliberate it rather changes the spirit of the game. I don't think Hello's silence about the issues people are reporting with NMS is helping them.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

Aaand it turns out it's a client side bug. The original reporter re-downloaded the game and found everything where he left it.
Dr. kitteny berk
Morbo
Morbo

Post by Dr. kitteny berk »

Roman Totale
Robotic Bumlord
Robotic Bumlord

Post by Roman Totale »

This has gone from the ridiculous hype train to the ridiculous hate train. First people claimed it was a paradigm shift in gaming, now they're reacting like it murdered every single member of their family. I'm sure at some point in the future this will make some sort of fascinating psychological case study on internet hysteria and mob mentality.
Dr. kitteny berk
Morbo
Morbo

It is entertaining.

Seriously though, this is why people need to stop pre-ordering games, There's absolutely no risk of you not getting a copy now mostly we procure games digitally. It's not like way back when you might have to wait a few months for more mario 64 cartridges to be made.

So, let games come out, let them soak for a week, read reviews, look at the communities response, is it that fucking hard?
Dr. kitteny berk
Morbo
Morbo

Incidentally, I think people should be made to read spore previews, then play spore if they try to preorder games.

It's not that it was bad, it's just, about 1/10th the same they promised.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

The internet thrives on drama. This one is feeding the gamer echo chamber. It's just another extension of the need for tribal belonging that fuels goobergate and the runaway hype train that caused this.
Roman Totale
Robotic Bumlord
Robotic Bumlord

Post by Roman Totale »

I get the feeling that the people who pre-ordered this would just have bought it on day one release anyway, so I don't think that would have changed much.

I pre-ordered Dark Souls 3 (and got the collector's edition thing), but then again I've enjoyed all the games in that series, including Bloodborne, so I pretty much knew what to expect. No regrets on that front either.