Gran Turismo to get car damage "soon"

Talk on any game/console that doesn't have its own forum, including browser-based games

Moderator: Forum Moderators

News Reader
Salmon Ninja Pirate Gayer
Salmon Ninja Pirate Gayer

Gran Turismo to get car damage "soon"

Post by News Reader »

Image Gran Turismo to get car damage "soon"
Gran Turismo creator Kaz Yamauchi has confirmed that the series will be getting car damage soon.Image

Category: News
Publish Date: Tue, 12 May 2009 12:57:41 +0100
Read more...

Source: bit-tech.net Feed
Description: Computer hardware, games and technology reviews and news
buzzmong
Weighted Storage Cube
Weighted Storage Cube

Post by buzzmong »

Gran Turismo.

It's shit, always has been, yet for some reason it gets touted as the playstations best racing game? I feel sorry for Playstation owners getting shit racing games.

Damage isn't the be all and end all, Project Gotham doesn't have it nor needs it (well, 1 and 2, not played 3), but what's more important is car handling.

Car handling was the reason why Colin 3 was shit (turning point was moved to the middle of the car instead of on the axle line, which is unrealistic and made the handling shite) and quickly got replaced by Colin 4.
amblin
Zombie Spanger
Zombie Spanger

Post by amblin »

Last edited by amblin on May 5th, 2014, 18:05, edited 1 time in total.
HereComesPete
Throbbing Cupcake
Throbbing Cupcake

Post by HereComesPete »

Goodo. Wake me up when they fit guns plz.
buzzmong
Weighted Storage Cube
Weighted Storage Cube

Post by buzzmong »

amblin wrote:
I disagree. Photo realistic cars (as technology permits), satellite and laser mapped tracks providing high track accuracy, hundreds of cars to drive with close to realistic physics (as technology permits), nice challenges, menus, music and tuning options.

It's not a racing game, or a driving game, it's a racing and a driving simulator. Take that attitude and I think it works. For instance, doing the nurbergring in 8 minutes = awesome. Though admittedly, grinding from 8:40 to 8:30 to 8:20 to 8:10 to 8:00 is a total pain in the ass!
I agree to disagree on this, I've played a number of them, the cars handled terribly in them, not realistically.

It's a driving game. Period. Graphics are not the be all and end all, although accurate tracks are nice but they feature in a number of other games.

I've done the Nurbergring on both GT and on PG, PG was by far the better version of the track imo.
Dr. kitteny berk
Morbo
Morbo

Post by Dr. kitteny berk »

buzzmong wrote:I've done the Nurbergring on both GT and on PG
What about in real life? :P
buzzmong
Weighted Storage Cube
Weighted Storage Cube

Post by buzzmong »

Not yet, if/when I do get a CBR600, I would like to go do it though.

Have you?
Dr. kitteny berk
Morbo
Morbo

Nope, but I'm not claiming anything about the quality/accuracy of a rendition of a racetrack without any personal experience, so my knowledge on the subject isn't in question. :P
buzzmong
Weighted Storage Cube
Weighted Storage Cube

Post by buzzmong »

Bastard! I did wonder whether you were going to out and out say that.
HereComesPete
Throbbing Cupcake
Throbbing Cupcake

Post by HereComesPete »

The handling on my koenigsegg* is nothing like it is in any game. Just so you know.

*Possibly a Swedish euphemism for a one hand test drive?
FatherJack
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by FatherJack »

I find Project Gotham to be more arcadey, filling the gap between sims and Ned for Speed/Juiced/GRID/etc. The cars handle better - less realistically so.

While GTR and Grand Prix Legends were good sims on the PC, they're getting a bit old and you needed a good wheel to get anything from them.

The Gran Turismo and Forza series have provided a decent level of simulation with cheap hardware, not as punishing or as detailed as the PC sim titles, but as good as it gets with a joypad and a telly. I admire the way they concentrate on the racing, rather than distracting me with game modes and style points. I find those middle-ground games as much fun to play, but when I want to just race, this is where I come.

In RL I've done some karting and rallying and the earlier PC Colin McRea games were way more realistic then the more recent DiRT.
Dr. kitteny berk
Morbo
Morbo

buzzmong wrote:Bastard! I did wonder whether you were going to out and out say that.
:bow:

And what FJ said, I like GT/Forza for the borderline sim thing.
buzzmong
Weighted Storage Cube
Weighted Storage Cube

Post by buzzmong »

Also, I've had a thought, as I'll *probably* get a CBR next summer (unless a blinder comes up this summer), by that time Berk might have finished the Berkmobile, fancy a trip to Germany Berk?
Dr. kitteny berk
Morbo
Morbo

Could do :)