Review your Steam library

Console/PC game reviews by 5punkers

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Review your Steam library

Post by Dog Pants »

I was scanning through my Steam library, just thinking for a second about each game I had (or at least those I've played), and I thought it might be interesting to write a one-line review of them here and compare notes. We might find some gems in there we didn't know about. So here goes.

AI War: Fleet Command - A space 4X game, turned out to be real-time combat and I bounced off it in less than an hour.
Amnesia: The Dark Descent - Nicely atmospheric, then the monsters turned up and I lost interest.
Anno 1404 - I started to flounder a bit when I played it the first time and have never mustered the time to re-learn how to play it and have another go.
Audiosurf - I loved playing to my own playlist, but ultimately I'm just not very good at it.
Beat Hazard - See above. I don't even like shoot-em-ups so I must have bundled this.
Ben There, Dan That - Witty old school point-and-click. I enjoyed it but got stuck.
The Binding of Isaac - Like Smash TV designed by a deranged psychiatrist. It's pitched at a nice difficulty level and I was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed it.
Blood Bowl: Chaos Edition - I think I've mentioned this before. I love the translation from the board game, but if the rules don't click you won't enjoy it.
Borderlands 2 - I really wanted to like this, but I just got bored of clicking on mutants. Same as the first game.
Castle Story - A lot of potential in this Early Access, but it really needs to work on the ease of building things as the hardest part at the moment is wrestling your workers into doing what you want.
Company of Heroes - Resource-light RTS, brutal and atmospheric. As with almost every RTS I've ever played, I stopped at a defender mission.
Counter-Strike: Source - You either play CS:S religiously or you die a lot in it. I'm in the latter category.
Crayon Physics Deluxe - Great concept, but it seemed to fail to realise most of it. Either that or I was just shit at it.
Dead Rising 2 - It's kind of okay, but it always feels like there's something trying to stop you just having fun with the zombies.
Dead Space - The atmosphere is spot on, but a crappy combat system and falling back on throwing monsters at you eventually overcomes any interest.
DEFCON - I love the idea, but I absolutely suck at this.
Defense Grid: The Awakening - Pretty good for a tower defence game, and it does that thing where you can see the scores of your Steam buddies for e-peen points.
Demigod - I think this early MOBA is pretty good. Not as deep as the big boys of the genre, but accessible and pleasant (both things the rest of the genre tend not to be).
Deus Ex: Human Revolution - The cyber-renaissance theme really appeals to me, but concessions to console play styles and a weighting towards stealth tactics eventually bored me of the gameplay.
Dishonored - I like this, but unfortunately I struggle to find time when I can concentrate on it. Nicely paced and clever.
Don't Starve - I like the feel of this survival game, but revealing the whole 'tech' tree from the beginning took away the feeling of progression and gave me the impression it was actually pretty shallow.
Dota 2 - I liken Dota to golf. I suck most of the time, but I play for the scarce moments when I pull off something wonderful and it all becomes worth it. Only with 5punkers, but maybe against randoms.
Dragon Age: Origins - One of the best narratives in years. I felt a connection with some of the NPCs that I can't recall feeling in any other game. The combat was a chore towards the end though.
Dungeons of Dredmore - I've had a moderate amount of fun with this but I've not really taken the time to learn the intricacies, and as such I'm not very good.
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - I've had more play out of this than half my library put together, but as with every other open world RPG I just ended up feeling frustrated by its limitations.
Endless Space - A surprise hit for me. Replacing real-time combat with a hands-off tactical system and having a less military and more Civilisation approach has really appealed. It destroys hours of my time.
Frozen Synapse - The simultaneous turn based system is beautifully simple. The game isn't deep, but the combat is perfect.
FTL: Faster Than Light - An interesting take on Rogue-likes. It feels quite narrow in scope as you play the same mission every time, but the combination of gambling on your upgrades and tense combat makes for a good game.
Ghost Master - It's a nice idea, feeling a bit like a cross between Evil Genius and The Sims. I found that the puzzles became a bit obscure though.
Global Agenda - I didn't play any dungeons so I probably missed the point, but while I liked the shooty jetpacks take on an MMO it still felt like an MMO, with all the grind and lack of originality that entails.
Grand Theft Auto IV - Seems to be taking itself a bit too seriously by this point. It's not a bad story and the gameplay is decent enough, but it's nothing new and it keeps wanting to pull you away from your fun by nagging you with missions.
Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas - In their quest to make each iteration bigger and better, they went too big with SA. I just got lost in it all eventually.
Grand Theft Auto: Vice City - The best of the series by miles. The city is the perfect size, the 80s setting is spot on, and the music is brilliant.
Gratuitous Space Battles - Create your ships, give them vague orders at the start of the battle, then sit back and watch. It's interesting to set everything up and watch, but it's a hard game.
Gratuitous Tank Battles - Play as either side in this tower defence game, with your own custom units. Ultimately too hard for me.
Greed Corp - Funny little turn based game about territory control. Not bad, but it's only got a few hours interest in it.
Half-Life 2 (et al) - A definitive moment in story driven FPS games. Flows brilliantly, stays interesting, and the episodes maintain the high quality of the base game.
Hotline Miami - I was genuinely surprised by this top down shooter. It's fast, but requires tactical planning and reflexes to win. The psychadelic 80s theme adds a brilliant atmosphere.
Left 4 Dead /2 - An interesting and successful experiment in co-op gaming, but it left me somewhat cold. Mainly because I struggled to get a game.
Legend of Grimrock - A well polished version of the old tile based adventure games like Bard's Tale and Eye of the Beholder. It's lost none of its appeal since the early 90s, but also carries the same difficulty.
Leviathan: Warships - Well designed turn based naval combat. Doesn't take itself seriously, but feels a bit shallow.
Machinarium - Lovely point-and-click with a great art style and a cute story that reminds me a little of Beneath A Steel Sky.
Magicka - I found the combat system more of a curiosity than actually enjoyable, and as with other co-op releases it suffered from me not being able to get a game.
Men of War - Touted as a brilliant, gritty, Second World War RTS, I found it ugly and unintuitive, and bounced off it after a couple of missions.
Mirror's Edge - The reviews did nothing to make me interested in this, but when I bought it on sale and had a go I found that the parkour gameplay and general lack of combat was great fun. If occasionally frustrating (usually with forced combat).
Monaco - I've enjoyed what I've played of this clever little heist game, but it just seems to lack a spark that compels me to keep playing.
Mount & Blade: Warband - I get the feeling that if I spent some time on this I would find it to be more like what I wanted other open world RPGs to be. But I just never found the time.
Natural Selection 2 - I like and dislike this in equal measures. When it clicks for me I love it, but for the most part I find myself being tediously killed over and over again.
Neverwinter Nights 2: Platinum - Engrossing isometric RPG. I was enjoying it but got distracted and now can't seem to justify the time to spend on it.
Orcs Must Die /2 - Great fun for a little blast, but at harder levels takes a bit too much skill for my spazzy hands.
Overlord II - I liked the premise, but after only an hour it all started to feel a bit tedious.
Penumbra: Overture - The precursor to Amnesia: Dark Descent. It's older and uglier, but only slightly inferior. Also has the same monster problem.
Planetside 2 - I can't get enough of this huge scale FPS. It feels like a living battlefield. It does a decent job of being free too, but the items are a bit pricey if you do feel the need to pay, and it can be hard to pick up for new players.
Plants Vs Zombies - I have this on about three different formats now. I've played scores of hours of it. The cute, perfectly pitched take on tower defence is on of my favourite games ever.
Portal - The archetypical first person puzzle game, which for me none have surpassed. It also has great character.
Portal 2 - I felt the game wasn't quite as fresh and smart as the original, but it made up for that with a fun and witty story.
Proteus - Wandering round the stylised world I'm not really sure what I'm there for, but it's a nice change of pace. Shame there's not a bit more to see, but apparently there is a hidden story behind it all which I haven't found yet.
Psychonauts - Great style and writing, and a well pitched difficulty level made this one of the few platform games I've ever really enjoyed.
Puzzle Quest - A Bejewelled-like match three game with a weird RPG meta-game. Not bad to kill a bit of time.
Red Orchestra 2 - Balls-hard shooter. I struggled with it, but I appreciate its originality. I hear that they might have broken it with a patch to make it more COD-like though.
Revenge of the Titans - Not bad little tower defence game with cute graphics, but I got ground down by a slightly too steep difficulty curve (for me).
RIFT - What I consider the peak of the WoW generation of MMOs. Takes every good idea from every other similar MMO and combines them. Not very original, and eclipsed by GW2, but a good game.
Saints Row: The Third - Fucking crazy GTA-like which doesn't interfere with your pissing about like GTAIV did. Good fun.
Samorost 2 - A weird sort of point-and-click puzzle game. Reminds me of Gobliiins for the Amiga. I liked it, but I got stuck.
Scribblenauts Unlimited - Type things in to create them in world and solve puzzles with them. It was touted as being hugely flexible so I paid over the odds for a US import, but I found it fell well short of my expectations.
The Ship - With the right players it's a brilliant take on competitive first person games, but too often descends into people just killing each other for a laugh.
Sid Meier's Civilization V - A different take on the series, updated, simplified in some areas and elaborated in others. I think it's the best so far, but it still suffers from over-aggressive AI.
SimCity 4 Deluxe - The last version of the great series in its current form. Just as compelling as the original, but looking a bit dated now.
SiN Episodes: Emergence - This was a pilot for a possible episodic release of the old shooter, which didn't sell well enough to prompt further games. A shame, I liked its colourful setting and well paced combat.
Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion - At the end of the first tutorial I nearly fell asleep waiting for my ships to destroy some enemy ships. I get the feeling the combat will detract from the game for me.
Solar 2 - Weird game where you steer an astral body, developing it from asteroid to planet to solar system. Having little civilisations develop on your planets and attack other planets with space ships is cute. Fun for a few hours.
Space Empires IV Deluxe - A deep and entertaining 4X game that ultimately suffers from steamroller AI.
Spirits - A funny little puzzle game where you steer woodland spirits about in a similar way to Lemmings. Nice, but I got stuck.
Stacking - I like the imagery of this, but I found myself at a point where there seemed to be so many things to try to do to solve your problem that I just got overwhelmed and never went back to it.
The Stanley Parable - An interesting sidenote in first person games, for its narrator and vaguely puzzle-y gameplay. I didn't find it as revelatory as most made it out to be.
Star Wars: KOTOR - I came to this waaay late, and bounced off the combat system.
Starvoid - Obscure creep-less MOBA-like sci-fi game. Not bad actually, if very light on characters (and the name makes me think of a hungry Tremors worm).
Super Meat Boy - I can see the appeal, but I'm fucking rubbish at skill games like this so I didn't play it that much.
Team Fortress 2 - Great twitch team-based FPS. Seems to have got crazier and crazier since it went free, although I'm not a fan of the crate economy.
Terraria - I didn't get into this at first, then I persevered a bit and really got into it, then I played co-op and saw pretty much everything the game had to offer done by someone else, so I stopped.
Time Gentlemen, Please! - Point-and-click by the same guys as Ben There, Dan That. Witty, old school, and a bit more mental. Reminds me of Day of the Tentacle.
Titan Quest - I don't really like the Greek setting, but it's a decent enough ARPG.
Torchlight - Cartoony ARPG which does the gear treadmill pretty well and keeps you interested. Has a lot of good ideas they should have had in Diablo 2, not stymied by the problems of Diablo 3.
Towns - I like this slow-time building game. It's the closest I've seen to scratching the Dwarf Fortress itch. PC Gamer gave it about 70%, then retracted the review a month later for unfairly criticising a game still in development.
TrackMania United - Trackmania have always been racing games in their purest arcade form. This version is free.
Trials 2: Second Edition - One of those side-on motorbike games that have recently emerged off the back of Newgrounds games. It's not bad, but bloody hard.
Universe Sandbox - Not a game, it's a sort of astro-physics simulation which you can piss about with. I found it interesting for half an hour or so, your mileage may vary.
Unreal Tournament 2004 - Old school twitch shooting. I always preferred UT to Quake in the arena FPS category. People playing this have been doing so for 10 years now, so you will get battered.
Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines - This is a great first person story driven semi-RPG. It's knocking on a bit now, but it's worth looking into for the investigation over gunfights slant.
VVVVVV - Gravity manipulation platformer. Not bad, but I'm not really a platform game fan.
The Walking Dead - I really liked the interactive story concept, but was a bit let down by some badly explained QTEs. I'd go back to it, but I can't get enough peace and quiet to do it justice.
Warframe - I found it to be very uninspiring. Dull combat, unoriginal locations and enemies, confusing progression.
Wargame: European Escalation - I love this authentic take on 80s cold war RTS, but after a few levels they start chucking a lot at you and it can be overwhelming. Too overwhelming for me, in the end.
WH40K: Dawn of War II (et al) - I really preferred the lack of base building to its predecessor. It's not as tactical as it thinks it is, and the story is all "SPACE MAHRINE HUUUAR!", but it's a good take on an RTS.
Warlock - Master of the Arcane - A strategic empire building game that looks too much like Civ V for its own good. It's good at what it does, but concentrating on constant war makes it a bit repetitive after a few games.
Weird Worlds: Return to Infinite Space - Lovely little spaceship RPG/4X thing. The combat is a bit weak, but the random maps replay well.
Wings of Prey - This is a decent air combat game which gives you plenty of options to tailor between arcade and sim. Still a bit hard for me though.
World of Goo - Brilliant little puzzle game. Characterful, clever, and never impossible.
Worms Reloaded - Back to 2D worms, this one recaptures the fun of the original with more modern, cartoony graphics.
X-COM: Terror From The Deep - Old school turn based tactical combat. The XCOM series are great games, but this one was notoriously hard.
X3: Terran Conflict - Feels like Elite, but I was absolutely clueless in what I was doing. Flew about a bit then gave up.
XCOM: Enemy Unknown - A great, modern realisation of the classic. It isn't a faithful recreation, and has some controversial design decisions, but it stands on its own merits and does the originals justice.
deject
Berk
Berk

Re: Review your Steam library

Post by deject »

I would do this but I have around 500 games on Steam (Steam says 517, but some games have two entries). That would take a really long time.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/deject/games?tab=all
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

That isn't all of mine, but it's most of them. I don't know how many are there but I dout there's 500.
FatherJack
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by FatherJack »

I have about 300 [deep breath]...
Dr. kitteny berk
Morbo
Morbo

Post by Dr. kitteny berk »

350 odd here, I might be some time.
FatherJack
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by FatherJack »

I've been some time, here is A-F, my first 100-ish, hours are generally Steam-recorded-hours, not always actual hours, I've corrected them for my favourite titles:

1701 A.D.: Gold Edition 34.4hrs -
1701 A.D.: Sunken Dragon 0.7hrs -
Anno 1404 31.1hrs -
Anno 1404: Venice 22.3hrs - The preceeding two in this game series are a dead tie for my favourite city-building-with-minimal-fighting games, some dislike the way you start over with each new level, but I find it educational to see how the developers did it
Anno 2070 12.3hrs - Nicer-looking, but rather more complex than its predecessors, made more difficult by you being stuck with what you built in the previous scenario
Achron 0.3hrs - Amazing idea of an RTS with time travel, but seems more like a platform they are hoping for someone to license and build a slick game on top of
Agricultural Simulator 2011: Extended Edition 15.4hrs - Kind of like Gran Turismo (the collection of, not the racing of) for Tractors, pretty much what you'd expect - driving slowly in straight lines, but I love how I now know what those huge agricultural machines you see on the road sometimes actually are
Farming Simulator 2013 13.4hrs - The competitor to the above, slightly less-terrible interface, better looking and a wide range of manufacturers (Agrar has just Claas) along with historical machines and more community addons
Alice: Madness Returns 0.3hrs - Rather twitchy controls are a bit of barrier to getting into this, I like the idea but it's hardly a new thought to "do Wonderland, but fucked up", it was always fucked-up - that's the whole point
Alien Swarm 0.6hrs - Top-down shooter which was free for while, difficult to feel immersed in it with the forced viewpoint
Aliens vs. Predator 3.7hrs - In MP it seems horribly unbalanced, but actually I'm just terrible at whichever class I end up as, in SP you switch classes just as you're getting used to each one, the previous games were both superior
Amnesia: The Dark Descent 0.5hrs -
Penumbra: Overture - A scary atmosphere is good, but when you are utterly powerless it becomes an exercise in frustration
And Yet It Moves - Indie bundle platform game where you can spin the world, I pretty much don't like platform games
Aquaria - Underwater 2D sidescroller indie bundle game, shades of Ecco the Dolphin, not really my thing
Arx Fatalis - Acclaimed first person RPG, Ultima Underworld III in all but name, has recent patches and updates for modern systems, plus a source code release for the budding game developer to tinker with
Assassin's Creed II 1.0hrs - Once you get the idea that this is basically medieval parkour it's a little easier to get on with and ignore the convoluted main plot, the controls aren't great without a pad, though
Atom Zombie Smasher - Indie bundle top-down 2D street map game where you nuke zombies from orbit while trying to rescue the uninfected
Audiosurf 0.2hrs - Basically Klax with levels generated by any music track you supply, musical level-generation was only done before in Vib Ribbon and the soundtrack from that makes for some interesting levels
Batman: Arkham Asylum 0.4hrs - Got as far as where you mash buttons to punch inmates and kind of lost interest, but was impressed by the atmosphere and Mark Hamill's Joker
Batman: Arkham City™ - More exploration to distract you from your mission, but I rather like that
Battlestations: Midway -
Battlestations: Pacific - Couldn't get on with the controls, I understand that with ships they take a long time to turn around, but the thinking a few turns in advance is too much for me
BioShock 1.4hrs - While linear and clumsy (plasmid or weapon) the exploration and discovery in this one surpasses the immediate sequel, as does the sense of threat and the later levels are a rare example of a game saving the best until last
BioShock 2 30.8hrs - Slicker fighting, but ultimately repetitive objectives spoil this a little, they could have simply removed the train as an artificial barrier to progress and just had you find your way to the next area and ended up with a better game
BioShock Infinite 30.1hrs - A great shooter with some well-thought-out tactical alternatives in battle, great use of 3D space - the Y-axis so rarely used by games being utilised without being confusing, although you'll probably have seen all there is to see in 1.5 careful playthroughs
Blood Bowl: Legendary Edition 16.7hrs - Blood-soaked turn-based American football with fantasy characters, which while not-very-well-explained in-game is a lot easier to pick up if you have a few games with mates
Borderlands 27.6hrs - Lovely styled post-apocalyptic shooting/driving game with a potentially too-high difficulty level given weapon drops are utterly random
Borderlands 2 2.6hrs - Slightly more-balanced version of the above, with some weapons being fixed or 'of a level appropriate to the area', but formerly-cleared outposts respawning all the enemies completely ruin it, as the quests often have you retracing your steps
Braid - Indie bundle 2D platform game with abilities to control time such as a rewind function, so you can miss that jump multiple times in quick succession, it seemed a bit up it's own arse for a platform game and I didn't get on with it
Bully: Scholarship Edition 2.8hrs - Also known by the much-better name Canis Canem Edit (dog eat dog) this is a nice idea - set in a school so kind of Grand Theft Pencil Case, but marred by the requirement to do set missions to progress and annoying minigames if you accidentally attend class
Burnout Paradise: The Ultimate Box 12.1hrs - Open-world driving chaos with plenty of silly tricks to perform, even better with 5punkers
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 5.8hrs - Best forgotten-about and the game that killed my interest in man-shooting games, a forgettable SP story - its attempts be dramatic falling flat, no MP infrastructure
Champions Online: Free For All 0.7hrs - Not really got my money's worth on the lifetime sub I bought for this, never quite made it as a City of Heroes replacement and the character editor is where I spent most of my time
Chantelise -
Fortune Summoners: Secret of the Elemental Stone -
Recettear: An Item Shop's Tale - Cutely-styled JRPGs which I felt I must own, but which have never found a great deal of time for, sometimes a little grindy but nice ideas
Chrome 0.3hrs -
Chrome: Specforce - An underrated shooter at the time, it had some tasty big maps and was very sniper-friendly, but the controls are a little clumsy by modern standards
Cities in Motion 25.4hrs - An engaging transport simulator, though a little clumsy to play and light on customisation compared to OpenTTD as you have to work within existing streets in the main
Cities in Motion 2 6.6hrs - A nice update on the above, properhard to get into and make money at first, but has much better potential for growth and customisation in the long game, a notable feature being it has the believable denizens you can follow that the new Sim City lacks
Cities XL - Limited Edition 8.8hrs -
Cities XL 2012 8.0hrs -
Cities XL Platinum 5.4hrs - Basically old Sim City with curved roads, a fairly simple 1-to-1 formulae regarding houses and jobs doesn't tax your brain too much so you can focus on a nice-looking layout and managing traffic
Cogs - Simple puzzle game
Commander Keen Complete Pack -
DOOM 3 0.5hrs -
DOOM 3: Resurrection of Evil -
DOOM II: Hell on Earth -
Final DOOM -
Quake -
Quake II -
Quake II: Ground Zero -
Quake II: The Reckoning -
Quake III Arena 0.5hrs -
Quake III: Team Arena -
Quake Mission Pack 1: Scourge of Armagon -
Quake Mission Pack 2: Dissolution of Eternity -
Wolfenstein 3D -
Wolfenstein 3D: Spear of Destiny - All part of an ID megapack which I bought to be a completist rather than any real desire to replay the games, Doom3 had a broken end boss and the addon was uninspired, Quake III was fun at the time, but my most fond memories of all of these are from Quake and Quake II mods where things like Team Fortess and Action started
Conflict: Denied Ops 1.2hrs - Reasonably ok shooter where you switch between a sniper and gunner, the graphics and gameplay are pretty basic for its time
Counter-Strike -
Counter-Strike: Condition Zero -
Counter-Strike: Condition Zero Deleted Scenes -
Counter-Strike: Global Offensive -
Counter-Strike: Source 5.8hrs -
Counter-Strike: Source Beta 0.5hrs - What can I say about CS, I grew to love the Desert Eagle and ended up using it exclusively, often to my detriment, but sometimes to the incredulity of opponents - which rank among my proudest gaming/teamspeak moments, I haven't actually had the opportunity to play CS:GO yet at all
Crayon Physics Deluxe - Lovely idea which I managed to ruin with my execrable drawing skills
Crazy Machines 2 - The spiritual successor the The Incredible Machine series where Heath Robinson (cf. Rube Goldberg, Wallace and Grommit) contraptions perform mundane tasks in ludicrously complex ways
Crysis 2 Maximum Edition - Put off by the first game, I haven't gotten around to trying this yet (makes me wonder why I bought it, but inevitably it was in a Steam sale)
Dark Messiah Might and Magic Single Player 8.1hrs - Reasonably fun magic and shooting game which broke under Fista, have yet to see if it will play under Win7
Day of Defeat -
Day of Defeat: Source - While the remake is a much more enjoyable experience, they retain an artificial model to portray the inaccuracy of the weapons, which frustrates a pixel-perfect twitch-shooter like myself
DC Universe Online 5.5hrs - Not even up there with Champions Online in my view, rather dull and repetitive
Dead Island 12.2hrs - A collection of gopher quests during which you are inevitably waylaid by the infected horde, has its moments but there is a lot of slog between them
Deathmatch Classic - An interesting remake of Quake DM remade in the Half-Life engine, which never really took off - a little too similar in feel to vanilla Half-Life DM which also never set the world on fire
Defense Grid: The Awakening,Defense Grid: Resurgence Map Pack 1 Defense Grid: Resurgence Map Pack 2 Defense Grid: Resurgence Map Pack 3 Defense Grid: Resurgence Map Pack 4 - I seem to have a lot of expansion packs for this somehow, it's a nice, slick Tower Defense game but the main joy comes from hitting achievement targets or beating your mate's scores
Deus Ex: Game of the Year Edition 17hrs - Ahead of its time with multiple paths to the goal, it foxed many who tried to shoot their way through every situation, once you're past that first level then you've pretty much gottten the idea though and can enjoy the ride
Deus Ex: Invisible War 29hrs - Not quite the travesty some make out, but the last level is the first level of the prequel which made me just throw my hands up and say "oh, God not that one again"
Deus Ex: Human Revolution 38.6hrs - An interesting story with multiple paths, utterly let down by the ending which basically negated all your previous choices and allowed you to simply select your ending of choice, none of which were at all satisfactory
Dino D-Day 0.2hrs - MP-only WWII battle with dinosaurs in the mix, sounds way way better than it is in practise, the T-Rex which you randomly get chosen as is like when you get a tank - everyone instantly tries to kill you before you get a chance to be of any effect
DiRT - Absolutely terrible simulation of rally driving, the last to bear Colin McRae's name before his death, cars would stop on a dime in mud and grip like glue on gravel - a very sad departure from some of the previously-great Colin McRae games
DiRT 2 0.5hrs - Despite the overabundant focus on American stunt drivers who thought they could cut it in the punishing European rally series (they couldn't) this remains a rather enjoyable title, cars are simulated well when you actually get to drive them in a proper rally, but there are still too many crappy stadium events for my taste
Dishonored 27.3hrs - At the time when it was new, I thought all future FPS/Stealth games should be like this, but as time has passed I find the story rather forgettable and the gameplay on going back to it for the Dunwall city trials rather formulaic, with the main culprit for this being the utterly black/white conclusion
Dragon Age: Origins 229.3hrs -
Dragon Age: Origins - Awakening - Never failed to entertain through multiple playthroughs owing to the wide range of tactical options in battle, although the copy-pasted environments did become a little tiresome
Dragon Age II 46.2hrs - While they managed a unique looking feel to every area, there was not enough meat nor alternatives to warrant any more than one playthrough of this title which only disappointed owing to the massively high bar set by its predecessor
Driver: Parallel Lines 0.6hrs - Interesting dual-timeline spin on the series, horrifically clumsy controls on PC
Duke Nukem Forever 1.3hrs - The bit at the start where you have a piss kind of sets the tone and I didn't find anything after as compelling
DUNGEONS - Steam Special Edition 9.5hrs - No matter how much I wish this could've been a new Dungeon Master it sadly fails with shonky game mechanics which make progress formulaic or a chore
Dungeons & Dragons Online® 2.6hrs - Only really fun for recreating existing D&D characters, less unforgiving than when it was initially relased for solo players, but still pretty much party-dependant for progression
Empire: Total War 11.5hrs -
Napoleon: Total War 3.2hrs -
Rome: Total War - Add Medieval and Shogun as well to this series which I quite badly suck at, yet still keep buying, I found my greatest successes in Rome and while they've fixed annoying gameplay features from that title, the difficulty as far as I am concerned seems to have been increased with each new release
Endless Space 3.6hrs - A 4X game where the actual battles are almost an aside (being mostly hands-off) is a little confusing for me, I'd like to see it as a city-builder in space as the focus is switched from battle to civilisation, but it really isn't - the ships look proper lovely though
EverQuest II 4.7hrs - Maybe I left the updater/launcher running on this one, because I don't recall ever playing it
F.E.A.R. 2: Project Origin 0.2hrs - Buying this was more to catch-up on a series that I'd been unable to play because the original game had ridiculously-high system requirements to play at full-tilt, it hasn't really grabbed me
F.E.A.R. 3 - Yet to play pending the above, most reports list it as the weakest in the trilogy and I should've really stuck with my drive to complete the first and second games for it to have any resonance
Fallout: New Vegas 60.2hrs - I want nothing much more than to continue Kitty's journey through this epic world, hopefully Beth can stop fucking around with Elder Scrolls Online and get Fallout 4 made
Flora's Fruit Farm 0.2hrs - Indie bundle almost-minigame
Football Manager 2009 100hrs -
Football Manager 2010 84hrs -
Football Manager 2011 261.4hrs -
Football Manager 2012 185.0hrs - I have played this series quite a lot and nothing I say will recommend it to you if you are not like me already a fan, or are frustrated by your own real-life football team's predicament and think that you could do better as their manager
Freedom horse -
Freedom horse vs. the 3rd Reich 0.2hrs - I didn't get this at all - I just failed to understand the tutorial and left it, despite the promise from the premise
Frontlines: Fuel of War 0.5hrs - Nowhere near as epic as it seems to think it is, the MP is now broken and the SP can be easily overcome by rushing straight into the objective, it's a bit of a shame as I think it was a bit of last chance for the small studio that produced it and was big on overarching themes but light on execution particularly in the early levels
Frozen Synapse 0.4hrs - This most reminds me of Disgaea - another game I want to love but just can't get my head around - a tactical turn-based battle where both sides move at the same time, the thinking where they might move rather than where they are just eludes me
FTL: Faster Than Light 10.1hrs - Fun game, if a little samey - the randomness can give and take with equally glorious or disasterous measure, so it can wear thin if you get unlucky too many times in a row
FUEL 0.3hrs - Open-world driving game with an exploration/discovery element, far too easy to spend hours trying to drive up sheer cliffs to get to lookout points in between the races, which aren't bad but nothing very innovative
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

Did you export that list somehow? Or more likely got it from a website? I typed mine out (thank fuck I only did 100 or so).
Mr. Johnson
Mr Flibbles
Mr Flibbles

Post by Mr. Johnson »

Let's see...

Ace of Spades: A minecraft like first person shooter. It's an interesting idea; build defenses and try to break down the ones your opponent built, but I'm grumpy and don't like playing with randoms as much.
Age of Empires III: I got this because Grimmie said it was fun, but I never played it because I hate base building RTS's. Why the hell did I buy this?
Alice: Madness Returns: Sequel to 2000's American McGee's Alice, it has a very interesting art style but it needs a fair bit of polish and the story is a mess.
Alien Vs Predator: Despised by many, but dropping down on your opponent to eat his face is incredibly satisfying, in both multi and singleplayer.
Aliens: Colonial Marines: So much wasted potential, and incredibly painful game to play if you love the aliens franchise.
Altitude: A side-scrolling flying game which is probably better played on an ipad or something.
Amnesia: the dark descent: nope.
Aquaria: I don't know what this is, so I probably got it in a bundle and never played it.
Arma 2: Way too serious business for me. Also, fuck walking.
Assassin's Creed: Interesting parkour mechanics, but the story didn't interest me and it's incredibly repetitive.
Assassin's Creed II: A more interesting setting and characters made this a big step up from it's predecessor.
Atom Zombie smasher: A fun little top view RTS, where you get a number of resources to save civilians and try to contain a zombie outbreak. Challenging but in the end too repetitive and difficult for me.

I'll continue with the B section at one point.
FatherJack
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by FatherJack »

Dog Pants wrote:Did you export that list somehow? Or more likely got it from a website? I typed mine out (thank fuck I only did 100 or so).
I copy pasted the web page http://steamcommunity.com/id/fatherjack/games?tab=all then search-replaced the bits I didn't want.
FatherJack
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by FatherJack »

Here's G-O, not quite another 100, but I feel I'm on the home straight now:

Galactic Civilizations II: Ultimate Edition 3.3hrs - Very hard to get into, but quite compelling once started, especially the ship design
Garry's Mod - Sandbox of toys from all the Valve games, fun to mess about with but chalenging to produce anything of worth
Ghost Master 0.5hrs - Nice premise but which becomes an FAQ-lookup exercise to complete later levels
Gish - A 2D platformer I don't care about, it does feature some interesting characters mechanics, but then so did some late C64 titles 30 years ago, I had hoped we'd moved on
Gnomoria 20.7hrs - Initially compelling Towns-like title which kind of runs out of steam once you've built everything you can
Gothic 3 -
Gothic II: Gold Edition 0.1hrs - Classic first-person RPGs which I bought as they were kind of the precursor to Risen, which I had some enjoyment from inbetween Elder Scrolls releases
Grand Ages: Rome 19.9hrs - Rather lovely-looking city builder, which while easy to hose yourself in a production-lock-loop is quite entertaining, if a little simplistic at its core
Grand Theft Auto 2 -
Grand Theft Auto -
Grand Theft Auto III -
Grand Theft Auto IV 0.1hrs -
Grand Theft Auto: Episodes from Liberty City -
Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas -
Grand Theft Auto: Vice City - Peaked with the Vice City release though until San Andreas was always dogged by the requirement to complete set missions to progress, fun can still be had on any street-corner in any of the titles though
Gratuitous Space Battles 7.0hrs - Remarkably similar to the game I envisaged on my Game Developer's course, with plans made first and the action carried out afterward automatically, which is a little irksome as I'd considered it a unique gameplay mode, but they execute the idea with far more panaché so I'm happy to concede to them
GRID - Racing with a rewind, which you need when racing across container docks and suchlike
Gumboy Tournament - The cheapest game on Steam bought when some award was to buy a game on Steam
Half-Life 2 1.3hrs -
Half-Life 2: Deathmatch -
Half-Life 2: Episode One -
Half-Life 2: Episode Two 37.0hrs -
Half-Life 2: Lost Coast -
Half-Life 4.7GB
Half-Life Deathmatch: Source -
Half-Life: Blue Shift 0.2hrs -
Half-Life: Opposing horse -
Half-Life: Source - Half-Life is the best game ever and the Half-Life series games continue this, none of the subsequent releases have disappointed me in any way, apart from perhaps their length - the Orange Box remains the singular most important title in all of gaming history
Hammerfight - 2D top-down indie fighting title which has failed to grab me
Heretic: Shadow of the Serpent Riders -
HeXen II -
HeXen: Beyond Heretic -
HeXen: Deathkings of the Dark Citadel - Oops, these are part of the aforementioned ID bundle
Hitman 2: Silent Assassin -
Hitman: Absolution 7.9hrs -
Hitman: Blood Money -
Hitman: Codename 47 -
Hitman: Sniper Challenge - Got all the Hitman games as part of a bundle, only really played Absolution which is a pretty solid title, stealth being mostly optional (which I like) but has a very high replayability factor as you strive to complete each level perfectly
Hospital Tycoon 13.4hrs - Not quite Theme Hospital, but almost - too easy with preset levels that reduce the challenge and way too short, but the fun is there
Infernal 1.0hrs - Shooter with a kinda-of interesting Hell-story that gets a bit mixed-up with Zelda-like bosses, where (for example) you have to shoot out the lights before you can damage the boss - not bad per se, but an unexpected mechanic
Jade Empire: Special Edition 12.9hrs - Glorious eastern fairytale over a thinly-disguised KoTOR/Mass Effect back end, not as fresh as it once was but still a must-have addition to the very short list of beat-em-ups with a proper story
Just Cause - Any plot this game has is lost amid the terrible PC control system
Just Cause 2 3.5hrs - A fun blast in an open world, which loses traction as the missions become less enjoyable than just pissing about
Kane & Lynch: Dead Men 0.6hrs - While not the infamous sequel which produced such a furore with fake reviews covering up its atrociousness, this game isn't exactly great either, stupid AI that clocks you just because you are even in the same continent make the supposed stealthy approach you're trying to make nigh on impossible
Killing Floor 5.1hrs -
Killing Floor Mod: Defence Alliance 2 - Brainless gunning down of things you have to gun down exemplify this title - I can't even remember if they are zombies or not, or Santas or Clowns - anyway they must die
King Arthur - The Role-playing Wargame 8.5hrs - Total War-style battles with some RPG elements bolted on rather clumsily, let down by extremely erratic difficulty levels in battles and incredi-poorly implemented RPG parts
King's Bounty: The Legend 0.3hrs - Hex grid battles turned me off this pretty much straight away
L.A. Noire 6.2hrs - If you search absolutely everywhere you are allowed to walk to, then you stand a chance of solving the crimes in this detective game, the much-vaunted "realistic" facial expressions are a lottery at best - you need hard evidence to make anything stick
Left 4 Dead 5.2hrs -
Left 4 Dead 2 8.9hrs - Not a half-bad SP game, made immeasurably better if you have three mates to play with - the biggest problem being if you have four mates who want to play
Lugaru HD - Indie bundle, seems like a tech demo, you're a spooky giant bunny
Machinarium - Point and click adventure which while charming can be as frustrating as any other point and click adventure where you have to hunt the pixel
Mafia 0.5hrs - At the time was the PC's version of GTA(3) done right with such attentiveness to detail given the period setting, still enjoyable for the story, but controls rater awkward by modern standards
Mafia II 40.6hrs - Nice remake which built on the atmosphere of its predecesor, but lacked much of it's original spark, feeling more like a reskinned GTA, but still a commendable title
Magicka 2.3hrs -
Magicka: Final Frontier Magicka: Frozen Lake Magicka: Holiday Spirit Item Pack Magicka: Nippon Magicka: Party Robes Magicka: The Watchtower Magicka: Vietnam Magicka: Wizard's Survival Kit - Steam sale add-ons ahoy, I never quite got to grips with this game as I felt the controls just got in the way
Majesty 2 7.0hrs - Ok RTS, but which in a reversal of usual game rules has you under attack almost constantly from enemy bases you have not yet discovered and eliminated
Mass Effect 2 56.2hrs - Kitty Shepard's epic journey continues, it is a rare delight to carry the same character through three games in a series
Max Payne 3 0.3hrs - I tried to replay Max Payne 2 before embarking on this, but it is horribly broken by modern standards and I lost the will to carry on
Metro 2033 2.4hrs - Lovely atmosphere to begin with, but the literally on-rails sequence kind of ruined it
Microsoft Flight 0.9hrs - You can mostly only play the tutorial for free and that didn't grab me enough to pay any money
Midnight Club II - Part of a Rockstar bundle, I haven;t played it on PC
Mini Ninjas - Nice setting, but a little too button-mashy for me to get into
On the Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness - Tycho's writing doesn't really elevate this beyond a very basic turn-based battle game
Orcs Must Die! -
Orcs Must Die! 2 - Promises Dungeon-Keeper style fun, but doesn't quite deliver with the bolted-on FPS elements
Order of War 5.4hrs - WWII strategy game with some good moments, but nothing earth-shattering
Osmos - Indie bundle thing, like the cell stage in Spore
OutRun 2006: Coast 2 Coast - Part of a bundle no doubt, my stand-out memory of the original Outrun is my annoyance at how my sister managed to complete it whilst I was crap at it
FatherJack
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by FatherJack »

Gadzooks! Here's that final P-Z, although there are probably some new ones that I've now missed earlier in the alphabet.

Patrician III 2.2hrs - Turn-based city management, not hugely enjoyable as the interface is a bit basic
PAYDAY 2 1.9hrs - I don't really get the appeal of this game, it's an okay shooter, I should probably play it sober some time
PAYDAY: The Heist - I thought this would be great when it came out. I've never played it.
Plants vs. Zombies: Game of the Year 1.7hrs - I've played this long enough for it to get repetitive and dull, not long enough to uncover any strategic element to plant placement
Poker Night at the Inventory 8.7hrs - A poker game against some characters of varying fame (Strong Who?), wears out its welcome at about the time you get all the achievements
Poker Night 2 0.6hrs - Somehow harder despite being almost the same. Less well-known characters (Brock Who?) who get irritating much quicker, long before you get anywhere near the awful collect-a-million-of achievments
Portal 2 21.3hrs - A 3D puzzle game - an excellent one which makes you feel clever when you solve the puzzles
Portal 2.4hrs - Another 3D puzzle game, with the same vibe as above
Prey 8.3hrs - Has portals before portal did, and gravity goes wonky sometimes. A huge slog towards the end, which I can't remember so was probably rubbish
Prison Architect 31hrs - Run a prison for profit, hopefully without the inmates rioting and killing everyone. Recent updates seem more geared to the pro players and rarely make things easier
Project: Snowblind - Was meant to be a multiplayer Deus Ex sequel, but Invisible War crapped that up, it ended up as a pretty basic shooter with a hacking ability
Psychonauts - A platformer with an interesting story, boring gameplay
RAGE 9.5hrs - Promised to be the game that Borderlands wasn't, but suffered from the same difficulty spikes, but thankfully not the completely unfunny humour
Railroad Tycoon 2: Platinum 0.8hrs - Hard-to play with a manky interface
Railroad Tycoon 3 3.7hrs - A 3D version of the same game almost, the interface is still pretty clumsy
Sid Meier's Railroads! 19.4hrs - While it might be a simplified game, they get the interface right at last
Red Faction: Guerrilla 0.3hrs - Shooter with destructible scenery that plays like the grind in an MMO
Return to Castle Wolfenstein 1.6hrs - Better known for its multiplayer expansion, Enemy Territory, a decent if confused fusion of Nazi supersoldiers and occult meddlings, action and stealth
Revenge of the Titans - Tower defense?
Ricochet - Perplexing 3D imagining of the game from Tron that isn't Light Bikes
Rise of Nations: Extended Edition 7.2hrs - Through-the-ages RTS which I'm glad we play cooperatively
Risen 24.5hrs - Interesting free-roam RPG which created a fun diversion between Elder Scroll games, but gets very very hard
Rogue Trooper - based off a comic character?
Roller Coaster Rampage - You design tracks in 3D by "driving" the coaster, which sounds a lot more fun than it is
RollerCoaster Tycoon 3: Platinum! 17.2hrs - Classic Theme Park design fun
Rusty Hearts 0.2hrs - Free MMONG that plays more like a grindy beat-em-up button masher
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Call of Pripyat 0.3hrs - Atmospheric shooter ruined by a dumb-assed mechanic where you arbitrarily die if outside
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl - Atmospheric shooter not ruined by idiocy
Saints Row 2 13.4hrs - A GTA-style game with the focus on silliness, let down by the need to grind respect
Saints Row: The Third 28.4hrs - The best of the series with the right blend of stupid, funny and action, some irritating missions though
Saints Row IV 8.6hrs - What sounds great at first doesn't work so well in practice and has too many missions which actually aren't fun to do
Samorost 2 - Point and click adventure thing
Savage 2: A Tortured Soul - A strange hybrid of FPS and RTS, the commander gets the RTS view, the rest of the players FPS. It doesn't really work
SEGA Genesis & Mega Drive Classics - Includes 20 classics, 2 of which are good
Serious Sam HD: The First Encounter 0.7hrs - Remake of the classic shooter where hordees of enemies mostly run directly at you
Shadowrun Returns 0.4hrs - Turn-based strategy set in the Shadowrun universe which kinda failed to grip me
Shellshock 2: Blood Trails - A poor shooter that they fail to conceal with excessive gore
Sid Meier's Civilization IV 0.9hrs -
Sid Meier's Civilization IV: Beyond the Sword -
Sid Meier's Civilization IV: Warlords -
Sid Meier's Civilization V 7.5hrs - I'm rarely in the mood for turn-based games, but when I am, this series is the best there is
SimCity 4 Deluxe 9.6hrs - The definitive SimCity game that all the other city-building games try and fail to copy, including the recent SimCity
SiN - Decent if not groundbreaking gameplay, but excellent storytelling rivals that of HalfLife
SiN Episodes: Emergence 0.2hrs - A sad lesson about the risks of episodic content
SiN Multiplayer - doesn't work anymore, was the first game to have grappling hooks and introduce a more 3D aspect to shooters and a wierd escher-like level
Singularity 4.8hrs - Shooter with time-manipulation which gets a little worn-out later on
Sleeping Dogs™ 2hrs - Great setting and good fun when it's free-roam, but the fights are a massive annoyance of button mashing
Space Engineers 30hrs - Needs more content to keep interest, but an interesting game in progress
SpaceForce: Rogue Universe 1.2hrs - It looks nice but the first missions are impossibly hard, the UI obtuse, and the story writing is execrable
Speedball 2: Tournament - An HD version of a Sensible Soccer ripoff [sorry, Microprose Soccer and not necessarily a ripoff]
Star Wars - Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast 6.6hrs - The best of the series of FPS games that adds lightsabers and horse powers with varying degrees of success, this one with Quake2-level graphics
Star Wars - Jedi Knight: Mysteries of the Sith - Quake-level graphics for these
Star Wars Jedi Knight: Dark horses II 0.7hrs -
Star Wars Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy -
Star Wars: Dark horses - The same, but with Doom-level graphics
Star Wars: Empire at War Gold 5.1hrs - RTS Star Wars, a great idea, but I found it murderously hard and uninspiring beyond the setting
State of Decay 17.3hrs - Zombie survivial game, it's mostly your choice on what to do, but there are some frustrating missions, still probably the best in the genre
Steel Storm: Burning Retribution - Top-down shooter, apparently they still exist
Supreme Commander - Great RTS with innovotative dual-screen play and patrol routes
Supreme Commander: Forged Alliance - Rather tough expansion which kinda ruins the story of the first one
Supreme Commander 2 3.8hrs - Feels kinda cramped and zoomed-in compared to the first game
Surgeon Simulator 4hrs - Spazz hands simulator more like
Syberia 12.5hrs - Great classic adventure game in the mould of The Longest Journey
Syberia 2 4.5hrs - Direct sequel to the above, slightly unsatisfying ending
System Shock 2 - RPG elements brought to the FPS before anyone else was doing it, so far ahead of its time
Team Fortress 2 42.5hrs - Iconic design and classic gameplay somewhat diluted in a sea of hats
Team Fortress Classic - A near-perfect emulation of the Quake 2 mod but using the Half-Life engine, impressively even emulating the glitches which are used in some special map types
Terraria 1.6hrs - 2D Minecraft, only less intuitive
The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind 6.3hrs - Open-ended RPG, perhaps too open-ended. You are crap to start with and it's easy to die. It takes a while to get around and the scenery isnt that interesting by modern standards
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim 381hrs - An immersive world that's fun to spend time in, best game ever? There are a few tricks missed - remember THAT quest in Oblivion? - nothing like that here, it's all generic kill dude - nothing really happens when you're the boss of everything and the menus are pretty bad
The Guild II - Pirates of the European Seas 48.6hrs - Yarr me hearties! Adds a few extra building types to the base game
The Guild II 34.7hrs - I've reviewed this in full elsewhere, but it's a great medieval city builder focussed on a family you control
The Guild II: Renaissance 47.6hrs - This is all the previous game was and more - to a point. Sadly it has a game-breaking bug that crashes it when your empire grows too large
The Lord of the Rings Online™ 3.1hrs - MMO which had some original ideas, such as player-owned property and farming, which naturally WoW has now stolen
The Settlers 7: Paths to a Kingdom 10.5hrs - Attractive city-builder with not so much depth as its predecessors, victory is too often by-the-numbers
The Ship -
The Ship Single Player -
The Ship Tutorial - It's a shame this game is confined to the titular Ship - it's like a 20s murder mystery brought to life and could work equally well in other iconic settings. It is rather bugged though
The Walking Dead 15.7hrs - Telltale's masterpiece which evokes real feeling in a way the TV series often fails to do
The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings Enhanced Edition 13.8hrs - It sometimes feels like the game hates you and can't be arsed to explain anything to you and the boss fights get pretty annoying on the third or tenth try.
Thief: Deadly Shadows - I normally hate stealth games, so this was an unusual purchase. Actually I hate stealth games with poor detection mechanics and this is not one of those, but the Daddy of stealth done right
Titan Quest -
Titan Quest: Immortal Throne 0.9hrs - Clickety-click top-down Diablo-style game, solid but essentially a bit boring
ToCA Race Driver 3 - Decent enough Codemasters driving game
Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six 3: Athena Sword -
Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six 3: Gold Edition - Join Zippy, Bungle, George, Geoffrey, Rod and Jane (but not Freddy) in the last Tom Clancy game to not be shit. Had a unique pre-planning phase which meant hours of fun tinkering could be had on even the training level
Tomb Raider 1.3hrs - The new one that's all "acclaimed" and everything. It's an ok game, but pretty linear with little exploration and less tombs. Mostly another cover shooter with some QTEs a-la everything
Tomb Raider: Legend 0.3hrs - Crap controls ruin what is reportedly a good game
Tomb Raider: Underworld - Puzzles are supposedly this game's strong point, but I couldn't puzzle out how to press the goddamn buttons at the right time to not constantly fall off stuff
Torchlight - Meh Diablo 2 clone without the multiplayer that made Diablo 2 bearable
To the Moon 0.2hrs - More story than game, truth be told
Towns 108hrs - Everything an obsessive collector/organiser/delver needs. So compelling. Always ends in tears.
Toy Soldiers 0.5hrs - Surprisingly good XBLA title utilising the eponymous plastic figures, but only really good for one playthrough and has other frustations, notably the camera
Train Simulator 2015 3.4hrs - Drive a train, that's it mostly. I actually bought the 2012 game I think, but it gets upgraded for free every year
Trainz Simulator 12 6.7hrs - More train-driving, marginally more arcadey, smidge less detailed
Tropico 3 - Steam Special Edition -
Tropico 3: Absolute Power 12.8hrs -
Tropico 4 121hrs - Reviewed in full elsewhere, these are Banana Republic city-builders and collosal fun, but each new version seems to offer less, er..new things
UFO: Afterlight -
UFO: Afterlight Old Version 0.2hrs - Didn't much like this, don't know why there's an old and new version listed, maybe I should try the new one? Didn't like the combat which is the whole game
Universe Sandbox - Got the achievement for sending poor Earth flying off into space then never went back, it's less interesting than it sounds and it sounds dull
Unreal Tournament 3: Black Edition 1.1hrs - Having a 'black' edition kinda reeks of desperation in Unreal's last gasp before it became primarily an engine instead of a game. This one was first with the Titans though, before BF2142's game mode and Titanfall, it's just that nobody gave a shit about them at the time
Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines 2.9hrs - A bit cramped and bit buggy, this is still a must-play classic
Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War – Soulstorm 4.9hrs - A couple of new near-clone-of-existing factions dribbled into a game which already had everything it needed, Dark Crusade was the zenith, this the nadir
Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War® II 41.6hrs - doesn't really deserve to be called a sequel and the multiplayer game is markedly different from the single player one. It's not a bad game, but anyone expecting more of the same would be in for a shock
World of Goo 0.4hrs - Kinda boring. Building wonky towers out of black snot that can't hold their own weight
X3: Albion Prelude 14.1hrs -
X3: Reunion 0.2hrs -
X3: Terran Conflict 22.7hrs - All these are the same game essentially, with different campaign stories. I never played a single second of the campaign of any of them though, as I wanted a free roam space trader game, and they deliver, save for Reunion which has a crappy randomisation feature which stuffs up the difficulty level. Buggy as hell and a godawful scripted interface, but worth the time invested
X Rebirth 16.2hrs - Oh dear. They shitted up here. Everything I enjoyed about the series is now gone - no free roam trading, no multiple ships, only the same shit-arse ship you start with and a compulsory campaign. Later patches have made this turd slightly shinier
XCOM: Enemy Unknown 1.6hrs - Turn-based combat made cool again, with a tasty base-building aspect as well. Does seem a bit formulaic though
Zeno Clash 5.7hrs - An oddball shooter that's yet another example of style over substance, original in spades, but like every French film, ever, made no fucking sense and had a shit ending
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

FatherJack wrote: Speedball 2: Tournament - An HD version of a Sensible Soccer ripoff
Sorry FJ, got to call you out on this one because I have fond memories of both, but Speedball 2 preceded Sensible Soccer by 2 years.
FatherJack
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by FatherJack »

Dog Pants wrote:
FatherJack wrote: Speedball 2: Tournament - An HD version of a Sensible Soccer ripoff
Sorry FJ, got to call you out on this one because I have fond memories of both, but Speedball 2 preceded Sensible Soccer by 2 years.
Sorry, I meant Microprose Soccer by Sensible Software, on the C64 - I always make that mistake. I never had an Amiga. Speedball did come out on the C64 in the same year though, so it's not really clear whether either took inspiration and the gameplay isn't quite the same in any case: just the fact that the pitch is displayed vertically, whereas it had always been horizontal before, a-la International Soccer and the way the ball goes big when it's in the air.
Mr. Johnson
Mr Flibbles
Mr Flibbles

Post by Mr. Johnson »

Well, I sure forgot about this. I'll probably forget about this again but here's a strategic review of the B section.

The Banner Saga: Grand epic tale inspired by Norse mythology and animated using rotoscope animation. Looks great, the story is pretty good but I quit playing this because the turn-based combat is super hard.
Batman: Arkham Asylum & Arkham city: Be the bat. Scare bandits. Punch everything. It's great.
Battlefield: Bad company 2: Surprisingly good, the smaller scale combat makes a nice change from being raped by jets. Make a new one of this, DICE!
Bioshock: Great art style but I never finished it. Don't know why.
Bioshock 2: Felt a bit like the B-version of the first one but it was fun being the big daddy. Also didn't finish it.
Bioshock Infinite: Fun combat, somewhat ambitious story and a sidekick that didn't get in my way. I finished this one.
BIT.TRIP RUNNER: Rythm based platformer, fun and addictive but frustrating.
Black Mesa: A source remake of HL1: More or less the same as HL1 but with ragdoll physics. ooooh.
Blood Bowl: I never got into this. Too much tictacs.
Blood of the werewolf: 50's movie themed platformer that falls a bit short of it's premise. It's so difficult in parts it seems to forget that games are also supposed to be fun.
Borderlands: I never finished this one either. I only played it with 5punkers but whenever I did so I seemed to be about 1 million levels behind and I never found any good guns.
Broken Age (part I): Lovely artstyle and classic Tim Schafer humour. Very short though, even for just a first part.
Brothers in arms: Hell's highway: Don't remember much about this, I guess it's kinda fun. I didn't care for my brothers in arms though, fuck those guys.
Brütal legend: I wrote a review of this once where I praised it sky-high and I have not changed my opinion. It's a must for every heavy metal fan and the incredible amount of metal love translates well to the game. Sadly this will never receive the sequel it deserves, damn it. :(
Bullet Candy: This gives me seizures and I don't even have epilepsy.
Bulletstorm: Fairly standard shooter that is incredibly fun and fluid to play, kicking people into giant cactuses is fun!