Moderator: Forum Moderators

deject
Berk
Berk

The Walking Dead (Season 1) - Telltale Games

Post by deject »

The Walking Dead (Season 1) - PC

Introduction
The Walking Dead is a game adapted from the massive hit comic book series by Robert Kirkman. Shambling zombie hordes persistently hound the player character, Lee Everett, and an ever changing cast of survivors throughout the five episodes in Season 1. Chronologically, the game takes place simultaneously with the events of the comics, though for the most part the survivors are all new characters (you do come across a few of the main characters from the comics, but they generally don't stick around for too long). Lee, being transported to jail after being convicted for murder, suddenly finds himself in the middle of the undead. One of the first survivors he finds is a little girl named Clementine, a smart but naive eight year old that Lee ends up playing guardian for. Along the way, Lee and the other survivors struggle with the walkers, bandits, supply shortages, and with an overall lack of just what they should do. Not everyone is going to make it...

Gameplay
The Walking Dead appears at first glance to be a typical adventure game, especially familiar to anyone who has played any of Telltale's previous point and click revival games (i.e. Sam & Max Save the World, Tales of Monkey Island, etc.). You move Lee around the environment looking for hotspots (not a pixel hunt by any means) to interact with to solve problems and navigate dialog with other characters.

The twist in The Walking Dead, the hook that makes the gameplay much more than just another adventure game, is that sometimes you're not allowed to take your time and really evaluate your choices. In dialog, some of your choices are limited by varying timers, forcing you to make snap judgements that could have life or death consequences in the heat of the moment. Characters will remember your decisions and the narrative branches in a way I haven't seen since Alpha Protocol.

Further, the intensity is ratcheted up with Panic Events that will test your reactions, accuracy, and QTE completion skills. Successfully navigating the Panic Events requires a fair amount of alertness, though you should be able to beat them even if you get caught unprepared. As for the QTEs, they're generally not offensive and are always the same one or two keys (you will mash the Q key a lot, sometimes followed by the E key), and they usually make sense as a game mechanic when they occur.

Thus, the normal, laid back adventure game (or more accurately, interactive story) puzzle solving is interspersed with super intense battles of reaction and snap judgment that are guaranteed to keep you on your toes.

Sights and Sounds
Presented in a stylistic comic book fashion, The Walking Dead is very unique and generally of good quality. The Telltale Tool is not the most sophisticated by any stretch, and while not quite on par with something like Borderlands 2 or TF2 technically, the look and feel of the comics is replicated impeccably. The characters are generally quite expressive, and convey emotions really well without resorting to forced dialog. The environments are well detailed and really well varied. Overall, The Walking Dead does exactly what it needs to on the graphics front.

Voice acting, as one might expect, plays a very important role in an interactive story like this, and the cast that Telltale put together is one of the highlights of The Walking Dead. The main characters Lee and Clementine are brilliantly cast and are totally convincing. The accents are on target, and never sounds like people in a sound booth reading lines. Some of the characters are weaker than others, but on the whole this is some of the best voice acting in recent times. You will be pleased by the nuanced, realistic, and powerful performances.

Stuff that sucks
While I did not experience any technical issues, there are numerous reports of people's progress disappearing as if they haven't played the game at all. There is supposedly a fix for this that involves copying a particular file from the game's My Documents folder to the Steamapps folder that has to be done every time if the bug affects you, so be prepared for minor annoyances if you're unlucky. I haven't heard anything about a permanent fix from Telltale, sadly.

Conclusion
The Walking Dead is easily one of the absolute best games of the year. No other game generates such strong affectation towards its cast of characters. No other game can instill fear and anxiety like this. You will react in terror to what happens, and you will beg for more. Sean Vanaman and Jake Rodkin (the main writers for Season 1) will give you just the perfect amount of hope before everything gets destroyed right in front of your eyes. I've never felt better about such an utterly depressing, soul-destroying experience. More than a few times I was really touched emotionally by things in this game. The only game that has come so close to this in emotional impact I can think of is The Longest Journey/Dreamfall. By the end your heart will be in your throat, tears welling up in your eyes. This should be on everyone's very short Game of the Year lists. It's that fucking good.

Score: 10/10 :starfull: :starfull: :starfull: :starfull: :starfull: :starfull: :starfull: :starfull: :starfull: :starfull:
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Re: The Walking Dead (Season 1) - Telltale Games

Post by Dog Pants »

Nice review Deej, it tallies up with a lot I've heard about it. Unfortunately for me I need to play it at a quiet, dark time and the only time that happens is at the weekends when I'm playing 5punky games. I did give it a brief run-out though, and the only criticism I could come up with is that the game doesn't always accurately communicate what I needed to do. It was pretty disappointing to have a decision I wanted to make not happen and a bad choice happen instead because I couldn't work out which bit of the screen I had to aim at to make it happen. Still, it's an important game for the fact that it shatters the notion that videogames can't tell a compelling story. True, it sacrifices a lot of game to make concessions for the story, but if it's told well it turns out that people are okay with that.
deject
Berk
Berk

Post by deject »

Dog Pants wrote:I did give it a brief run-out though, and the only criticism I could come up with is that the game doesn't always accurately communicate what I needed to do. It was pretty disappointing to have a decision I wanted to make not happen and a bad choice happen instead because I couldn't work out which bit of the screen I had to aim at to make it happen.
Honestly, that really only happens a small handful of times throughout all five episodes. What I will say though, is that there is never any bullshit red herring trickery going on. The logical solution to the puzzles is pretty much always the right one, the part that prevents you is usually something being out of reach or it's too dangerous or something similar. You still need to think about stuff, but you never get the feeling that the guy who made the puzzle was just being a dick. If you're stuck, it generally means that you need to progress the story elsewhere for the solution to the stumbling block to appear. The game is generally pretty good about giving you the tools to solve the puzzle at hand, but sometimes the puzzle at hand isn't always super clear, mostly in the first episode.

Just to be clear, the first episode is the weakest, simply because it hasn't hit its stride yet. They're introducing a lot of new characters rather quickly, which inevitably means some just aren't as interesting. By the time you get to the end of episode one though, you'll have spent enough time with most of the main cast that you are starting to build relationships with them (good or bad).
mrbobbins
Robotic Despot
Robotic Despot

Post by mrbobbins »

It's on sale today, £10.49

How long is each episode?, I like a decent amount of gameplay but if it's too long I'll never get around to finishing it.
spoodie
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by spoodie »

I'd estimate 3-4 hours per episode, maybe shorter.
deject
Berk
Berk

Post by deject »

Yeah I'd say between 2-4 hours per episode. I'd strongly recommend finishing an episode in one sitting if possible, though finishing it in two is OK if you don't leave a week in between. I'd also say give yourself a bit of time to unwind and/or let the events of the episode sink in before moving on to the next one. The game goes to some really dark places at times; unless you're cold-hearted bastard the game will eventually get to you.
Joose
Turret
Turret

Post by Joose »

Yeah, I would definitely treat it like a TV show: try to get through an episode in one, maybe two sittings, then stop. Dont play ten minutes of the next episode, then come back and finish it off but play half of the episode after, etc. It does a TV show style recap at the beginning of each episode, so you don't have to worry about forgetting what's going on from one to the next.

Its also excellent. Buy it!
mrbobbins
Robotic Despot
Robotic Despot

Post by mrbobbins »

Boughted!

I just need access to my PC now to play it, which comes after I finish rebuilding my house, and getting internets.

Grimrock is on sale as well, well worth ~£4
FatherJack
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by FatherJack »

I got to a point (at the farm with the electric fence) and kinda stopped playing, as it was pushing me in a direction I didn't want to go, which is often the trouble with interactive stories with game elements. By its stubborness in making me take a certain path, it was actually ruining its own story by making it obvious what was going to happen next.
Joose
Turret
Turret

Post by Joose »

Yeah, it is very much more of a slightly interactive story than what I would consider a proper game. I dont say that as a criticism though. Personally, I only get upset at games railroading me when they are not supposed to be: open world games, for example, or games where you are supposed to build your own character that then make you do something out of your personally created characters style in a cutscene. This is a story the writer wants to tell, and you can push it a bit. It never makes any claims otherwise, so im ok with it forcing me in certain directions.