Mobile Games

Console/PC game reviews by 5punkers

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Legoshoes
Unicorn
Unicorn

Post by Legoshoes »

Hm, this looks familiar i just can't put my finger on it...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... 0AsGfcJjuc
Thompy
Shambler In Drag
Shambler In Drag

Post by Thompy »

Wolfenstein 3D?
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

Top quote from Youtube:

"It's hard to really claim "humans, aliens, and robots in a RTS!" as IP infringement. If you do, then Starcraft blatantly ripped off warhammer 40k."

Erm, I thought it was pretty well established that Warcraft/Starcraft were based at least loosely on Warhammer/WH40K.
Anhamgrimmar
Ninja Pirate
Ninja Pirate

Post by Anhamgrimmar »

FatherJack wrote: That does look rather fun. Kind of like The Movies, but with games. Shame none of these work on my retarded "smart" phone.
What dumb phone you got? If its a HTC you can get android running on it with very little drama. Got it running on my Touch pro in about half an hour, and apart from the camera not working (yet), it's all good
FatherJack
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by FatherJack »

Anhamgrimmar wrote:What dumb phone you got? If its a HTC you can get android running on it with very little drama. Got it running on my Touch pro in about half an hour, and apart from the camera not working (yet), it's all good
It's a Nokia with Symbian, E71 aka Fakeberry. I had to give the HTC back when I left work. I liked that the '71 had a keyboard as the touch screen on the HTC was unresponsive, that it did email and web and wifi (as I'm now PAYG) and didn't look much beyond that in terms of features. I bought it straight off with with no contract, so it'll have to do me for now.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

I Dig It - WP7, iOS (possibly more, their site only mentions iStuff)

A pretty faithful conversion of Newgrounds' Motherlode - a game where you dig down into the ground in order to pick up stuff to sell for better stuff to dig with. It's one of those simple games which ends up being quite compelling - you always want to get that load back to the surface to sell, so you can buy a new drill, which you then want to test out by digging some more. This take on the mini-genre sees you in different locations such as deserts and ice, and has a large range of stuff to dig up. There's half a dozen long missions which seem reasonably varied. It's a great game, but on the WP7 version I have there seems to be a widespread problem of it failing to load once you get a few levels in. It's a shame, because otherwise I'd heartily recommend it. As it stands I hope they patch it because I paid £2.50 for the fucker.
FatherJack
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by FatherJack »

Dog Pants wrote:a game where you dig down into the ground in order to pick up stuff to sell for better stuff to dig with.
Always a strangely compelling cycle, q.v. Minecraft - dig for hours to find diamond, then make a diamond pick...
Legoshoes
Unicorn
Unicorn

Post by Legoshoes »

Minecraft is getting its own official app some time later this year. Probably snipped in places, but if it could access multiplayer servers, well, i'd never be off it.

I've had a chance to play Starfront Collision a bit and it's a pretty decent Starcraft clone. Sometimes a bit hard to control on a tiny screen with pudgy hands , i imagine when the HD ipad version gets released it'd be perfect. It's free to try out with a £3.99 in-app purchase so maybe give it a go.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

Legoshoes wrote:Minecraft is getting its own official app some time later this year.
For iStuff only, unless something's changed since yesterday.
HereComesPete
Throbbing Cupcake
Throbbing Cupcake

Post by HereComesPete »

I've read that as it's java based it'll be arriving for the other mobile os platforms, guess we'll have to wait and see.
Stoat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Stoat »

HereComesPete wrote:I've read that as it's java based it'll be arriving for the other mobile os platforms, guess we'll have to wait and see.
The transition to mobile devices should (hopefully) bring some fairly heavy optimizations to the main code too.
spoodie
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by spoodie »

Played an interesting one yesterday: Papa Sangre

It's an audio based puzzle/exploration game I suppose. The only graphics are buttons for your feet, which you press alternately to walk or run. And a dial to change the direction you're facing. The world is presented to you in audio and you have to find a safe route between musical note locations. I'm not sure it works that well or it's a good game, but it's worth a look if you're interested in this kind of thing. Not sure the current £2.99 is a good deal, perhaps you can find an offer.
eRabbit
Optimus Prime
Optimus Prime

Post by eRabbit »

HereComesPete wrote:I've read that as it's java based it'll be arriving for the other mobile os platforms, guess we'll have to wait and see.
Yup... I did a glee.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/02/23/mine ... droid-too/
Legoshoes
Unicorn
Unicorn

Post by Legoshoes »

Couple of new 'uns

Sword and Sworcery EP
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xk2fjtryfYc[/media]
Can't really be described, Has to be played. Closest thing to games-as-art recently. Only out for ipad at the moment, with an iphone release on the way.

and
Mission Europa
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zc_BH-pXIZY[/media]
Kinda reminiscent of System Shock 2. rough around the edges but huge, deep and engrossing. Don't be put off by the ugliness as i was to begin with.

Oh yeah, and Final Fantasy III is available now. it's expensive by app store standards but, damn, it's the DS remake on your bloody phone.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

I've got myself a whole load of demos (and a couple of purchases) recently;

Burn It All
Puzzly game about burning lengths of rope with little controllable sparks. Seems quite easy, I think I might be missing something.

De Blob Revolution
You need to negotiate maps painting the floor behind you, but you can't cross your own paint. Nice little puzzler, looks like it could get difficult fast.

Fable Coin Golf
Very polished cash in from a popular series. Flick a coin around a tabletop crazy golf course in a Fable bar. Not really that great, they overcomplicate it by trying to make it too Fable related.

Pocket God
You've got an island with stuff and little blokes on it, and as their god it's your job to fuck with them. I can't find any actual game in this, it feels like one of those room puzzles.

Rise of Glory
Pretty little biplane dogfighting game made bloody difficult to control by having to tilt the handset.

Tiki Towers
Sort of like World of Goo, but once you've built your (coconut) towers you release the monkeys so they can grab bananas and escape. Not bad but gets hard quickly. I bought this one.

Zombies!!!
Board game-a-like. Escape from the zombie city using cards and dice. Several different modes, some of which involve dicking the other players so that the zombies eat them instead. Bloody hard, but rather good. I bought it, but at £4 it's a pricey one.

Chickens Can Dream
Crazy indie game where you control a plummeting chicken through vertical pipes, picking up corn and power-ups and avoiding traps. Completely mental, great sense of humour, bloody hard.

Chicks 'n' Vixens
Blatant Angry Birds ripoff. Not bad, and the closest you'll get to Angry Birds on WP7. Also only about 75p.

Krashlander
Kind of like those horizontally scrolling dirtbike games where you lean forwards and back, but with skis. Get the bloke's trajectory right to land on robots and smash them. Yeah, no idea.
FatherJack
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by FatherJack »

Dog Pants wrote:De Blob Revolution
You need to negotiate maps painting the floor behind you, but you can't cross your own paint. Nice little puzzler, looks like it could get difficult fast.
That was originally a free Windows game made by some Dutch students, you can still get it here: http://binnenstad.hku.nl/
Dog Pants wrote:Chicks 'n' Vixens
Blatant Angry Birds ripoff.
Angry Birds being a blatant Crush the Castle ripoff. Karma is restored.
Legoshoes
Unicorn
Unicorn

Post by Legoshoes »

something to keep an eye on here
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ql-iu98XGds[/media]
The wowcloniest of wowclones. so wowclony it wear wowcologne.

Sword and Sworcery EP is out for the iphone now, still looks good and the sountrack is confirmed awesome.

One game i don't think i've mentioned before is Frotz. Text based adventure games, you can even download them straight from the browser. That includes The Hitchhiker's Guide. Oh hells yes.
spoodie
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by spoodie »

I'm impressed with Hector: Badge of Carnage on the iPhone, it works very well. Certainly better than the slightly awkward Broken Sword. Plus it's nicely amusing.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

Doodle God / 2 / Devil

Doodle God and sequels (Doodle Devil on my WP7) are simple but impressively compelling games based on the principle of combining two elements to make a third. That's it, the whole game. Except there are hundreds of elements, and the aim is to discover them all. Starting with the basic earth, air, fire and water, the new elements you create are used to create more new elements, and those to create yet more, and so on. It's pretty much random, although each combination leads to a flash of realisation as it makes sense, so I suppose you could make educated guesses. The drive, though, is to keep making discoveries. I'm probably not selling it too well, in which case play the browser version here and decide for yourself.
Baliame
Tremors Worm
Tremors Worm

Post by Baliame »

Dog Pants wrote:each combination leads to a flash of realisation as it makes sense
No. It really doesn't. Especially in DG2.

At 50% you'll end up clicking the hint button, trying all permutations, then you get a dead end element and you'll be doing something else while the hint button cools down.