Mini Reviews

Console/PC game reviews by 5punkers

Moderator: Forum Moderators

FatherJack
Site Owner
Site Owner

Mini Reviews

Post by FatherJack »

As suggested in another thread, here is a place for mini reviews. These are not intended to replace full reviews, just to make it easier for people to write initial thoughts or find out what other people think of games.

Please use the following format:

Game Name (Platform)
One line summary, or a sentence or two summing up the game as you might if someone asked you about it in conversation.

Code: Select all

[color=#3D84BD][b]Game Name (Platform)[/b][/color]
Summary here.

We can compile an index elsewhere, probably in the wiki so that anyone can help with keeping it up to date and sorted.
spoodie
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by spoodie »

Doom RPG (Mobile)
A mobile game that's actually worth playing and properly designed to work well with your mobile's keypad, taking a dump need never be boring again.
deject
Berk
Berk

Post by deject »

No One Lives Forever 2 (PC)
Funny first person sneaker, featuring Angry Kitty Proximity Mines. 'Nuff Said.
Joose
Turret
Turret

Post by Joose »

deject wrote:No One Lives Forever 2 (PC)

*actually* funny, too. Rather than that oh so dull "computer game funny" that most things have.
deject
Berk
Berk

Post by deject »

Joose wrote:
*actually* funny, too. Rather than that oh so dull "computer game funny" that most things have.

The NOLF series is only second to Grim Fandango in humor levels. Chasing the Mime King on the tricycle was just pure hilarity.
FatherJack
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by FatherJack »

deject wrote:No One Lives Forever 2 (PC)

They are two members of the rarest breed of FPS, that which I have played through multiple times, despite infuriating stealth levels.
deject
Berk
Berk

Post by deject »

FatherJack wrote:
They are two members of the rarest breed of FPS, that which I have played through multiple times, despite infuriating stealth levels.

yeah in the first one the level where you have to get in the Gondola was so goddamn hard, especially the one where you have to get to the door right under a camera, and it's fucking impossible to flank it.
Hehulk
KHAAAN!
KHAAAN!

Post by Hehulk »

Eve
Addictive, horribly horribly addictive
Grimmie
Master of Soviet Propaganda
Master of Soviet Propaganda

Post by Grimmie »

Lula 3D (PC)
*Fap fap fap fap fap*

Hahaha, that increased my 5perm count.
Dr. kitteny berk
Morbo
Morbo

Post by Dr. kitteny berk »

Mind dump, with scores

Forza Motorsport (Xbox)
Gran Turismo for the xbox, but better. 8/10

UT2004 (PC)
Shiny updated Unreal dealy. 7/10

FreeLancer (PC)
Elite, but newer. 6/10

Proect Gotham racing 1/2 (Xbox)
Arcadey street racing fun - good medium between a sim and need for speed. 7/10

FarCry (PC)
Good FPS, Probably one of the best ever made. 8/10

HL2 (PC)
Half life 2. 9/10.

HL2 ep1 (PC)
Great addition to the HL world, well worth the £10. 9/10

Prey (PC)
A one trick pony in a world of acrobatic assault ponies - nothing bad as such, just bland. 5.5/10

MS Train Simulator (PC)
Experience all the thrills of being a train driver, without getting paid, and no crash physics 3/10

Legend of Zelda - Ocarina of Time (N64/GC)
60-90 hours of remarkably brilliant RPG, getting a little dated now, so only 8.5/10
deject
Berk
Berk

Post by deject »

:roll: I'd give freelancer more like a 7 or 8, but that's just my opinion

Every NPC in freelancer wrote:We don't run this base, but we have an understanding with the people who do.

Knights of the Old Republic (Xbox/PC)
d20 RPG, best Star Wars game ever. 9/10

Dungeon Siege (PC)
Like Diablo, but with a party. Fast, vapid, and addicting. 8/10

Dungeon Siege 2 (PC)
Like Dungeon Siege, but prettier and POWERS!!! 8/10
Nickface
Ninja Pirate
Ninja Pirate

Post by Nickface »

Need for Speed Carbon (PC)
Just like Need for Speed Most Wanted, but with better menus, shiner graphics, and at night. Runs better than NFS:MW on this pc, and I have hardly noticed any dynamic ads.

Neverwinter Nights 2 (PC)
Just like NWN1, but with a little better interface and graphics that look a little like the graphics for Everquest 2. My computer doesn't like it too much. :(
MrGreen
Shambler
Shambler

Post by MrGreen »

ElderScrolls 4: Oblivion (PC)

Addictive, but rubbish leveling and combat compared to Morrowind, best graphics evar! 6.5/10

DayHard (ok it's a mod) (PC, Requires HL2)

Hilarious (on par with Grim Fandango) you play as Morgan Freeman, with Jack Carver (far cry) and father gregori on your side, quite hard, and full of little jokes and spoofs. 8.5/10
Woo Elephant Yeah
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Woo Elephant Yeah »

KillZone: Liberation (PSP)

Probably one of the most original shooters I've played, as it takes you into a beautifully done Isometric view of the Battlefield.
Not only are the graphics some of the best I've seen on a handheld, it also feels like you are playing something very different to that of any other shooter in the past.
It gets around the lack of a dual analog on the PSP by auto aiming at an enemy nearby that you are facing, or further away if you choose a weapon such as a sniper rifle.
You also have to use cover lots, and shooting nearby explosive barrels, and teasing spider mines into walking into enemies is also a lot of fun as well :lol:
This game is more about tactics than being a good aim, and I have had to replay levels over and over again until I work out a strategy that works on the map, and it's the tactical side of the game that I'm suprisingly enjoying the most, as tacticts/strategy is not my usual cup of tea.
You also have to command team mates on quite a few fo the maps, plus you can share the game and play co-op with anyone who has a PSP regardless of whether they have the game or not.
Definitely worth the £20 at GAME considering it's not long been released, and probably my second favourite PSP title.
If you fancy it, there is a demo in the /downloads area of 5punk.

8 out of 10 (Beautiful looking and original shooter that can interest those of us who want something a little different to play than your average FPS)

Daxter (PSP)

Without a doubt the best platform title to date on the PSP hands down.
Almost every review you read will tell you the same, and with good reason, as the graphics are awesome, the controls are perfect, and the lack of any load times whatsoever in-game, and the large world you explore between levels makes for a highly enjoyable title.
I was a fan of the original Jax & Daxter on the PS2, however the sequels to these were far too "open" and involved too much going backwarda and forwards between levels, but in Daxter they have got this just right.
It is a little easy to complete, but the replay value is still there due to the great bonus games, and hidden items to find within each of the levels.

9 out of 10 (One of the best platformer games I have played in several years hence the high score)

Star Wars Battlefront II (PSP)

I've played this on other consoles and enjoyed it enough to think that buying it on the PSP was a good idea. Oh dear, how wrong I was.
The lack of a dual analogue stick makes this came become almost unplayable as there is no auto-aim feature whatsoever, and the chance of lining up a long range shot (which was always necessary in the game on other consoles) is nigh on impossible.
The graphics are pretty poor as well, and add this to long loading times, well you can kind of guess the end result.
Very poorly ported across to the PSP, and I will avoid all FPS games on the PSP in future, unless they've been made specifically with the PSP controls in mind.

3 out of 10 (What should have been a quick fun game, has been turned into an uncontrollable ugly turd)
Last edited by Woo Elephant Yeah on January 5th, 2007, 21:53, edited 2 times in total.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

MrGreen wrote:ElderScrolls 4: Oblivion (PC)

Addictive, but rubbish leveling and combat compared to Morrowind, best graphics evar! 6.5/10

Best short review ever. Although I'd probably give it a little more personally, maybe an 8.
Dr. kitteny berk
Morbo
Morbo

Post by Dr. kitteny berk »

City of Heroes/Villains (PC)

Badgers, alcohol, 7.
MrGreen
Shambler
Shambler

Post by MrGreen »

Half Life 2 (PC)

An evolution, not a revolution, but still sets the benchmark for FPS 9/10

Halo CE (PC)

Every FPS game ever+a bucket load of fanboys + awfull online community= Halo CE= 3/10
FatherJack
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by FatherJack »

Here is a quick round up of the games I've picked up in the last few weeks, but won't play for long enough to justify a full review. I may revisit a few of these once I've given them another go, but it won't be for a while.

Mage Knight Apocalypse (PC)
Not very nice controls, clicky-clicky and mashy-mashy. Far too many repeated button presses to perform even the simplest of tasks.

Phantasy Star Universe (PC)
Hugely disappointing, boring combat system. Worst Controls Ever In A Game. The UI was just thrown together.

Empire Earth II - The Art of Supremacy Expansion (PC)
More of the same, take spear-wielding hunter-gatherers and take them through the ages, via cannons, planes, nuclear bombs and stompy robots. Adds the Russians, Massai, Zulus and er..the French.

Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Vegas (PC)
Runs like a zero-legged dog which has been shot and buried in concrete. Uses amazing shader model 3 effects which realistically simulate having smeared vaseline all over your screen. Stupid mandatory checkpoints ensure the bad guys have you where they want you.

Far Cry: Vengeance (Wii)
Takes a bit of getting used to the controls, which work okay with practice, although some simple actions are needlessly complex. Graphically poor, especially given PC Far Cry's quality. Grainy, jerky movies, a very obvious cone of light around you and horrible HDR. Not online capable, and two players need a mote and chuk each.

Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles (GameCube)
Only stylistically like the classic FF series. A clumsy real-time combat system spoils a pretty-looking game.
MrGreen
Shambler
Shambler

Post by MrGreen »

FatherJack wrote:
Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Vegas (PC)
Runs like a zero-legged dog which has been shot and buried in concrete. Uses amazing shader model 3 effects which realistically simulate having smeared vaseline all over your screen. Stupid mandatory checkpoints ensure the bad guys have you where they want you.

so true, you also need to have a crazy rig to run it at sensible resolutions
deject
Berk
Berk

Post by deject »

Need For Speed Carbon (Everything)
Decent arcade racing with fucking retarded crew members and fucking bullshit AI. At least you're not required to make your car fucking hideous looking this time. 6/10

Age of Empires 3 (PC)
Vast armies of musket dudes and Indian exploitation. whin! 8/10