Request for reviews

Console/PC game reviews by 5punkers

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Dr. kitteny berk
Morbo
Morbo

Post by Dr. kitteny berk »

i've not completed it. but.

From what i've played, it's a pretty solid FPS offering with some nice touches.

However, my gripe still remains about it being a bit of a one trick pony as far as the upside-downyness goes.

It seems that every puzzle either requires spirit wanking or room flipping.

When it comes down to it. solid linear FPS, kinda pretty, some puzzles.

7/10 - worth stealing.
Roman Totale
Robotic Bumlord
Robotic Bumlord

Post by Roman Totale »

Dr. kitteny berk wrote:However, my gripe still remains about it being a bit of a one trick pony as far as the upside-downyness goes.

This :above:

I bought mine and got a free copy of Serious Sam 2 (from Game), and to be honest I'm enjoying Serious Sam a lot more.
Dr. kitteny berk
Morbo
Morbo

Post by Dr. kitteny berk »

I think we're gonna see this more and more.

The problem isn't the FPS games as such.

It's that FPS gamers are expecting more, like a decent storyline - rather than "You're a marine, one of earth's toughest, 3 years ago you assaulted your superior officer..." in the front of the manual.

I figure a game that claims to be revolutionary or ground breaking in some way, actually needs to be a well rounded product.

Take HL2 for instance. didn't really do anything massively special, but did it well, with a decent story, enough action and cool weapons to work.

Prey on the other hand, seems to be saying "Look! you can go upside down" which, while pretty cool for 10 minutes and a good example of the doom engine, is really no different to any bog-basic FPS dating back to Quake.

Also, if you just want a mindless FPS blast (which is partly what i was hoping for with prey) Prey fails too, given it has puzzles etc that are often no more than getting lost or chasing your own tail.

For such things, I suspect (as roman said) Serious Sam 2 would be great, given it's meant to be a mindless blaster.

In short - Prey for me, occupies a middle ground between cinematic FPS games like HL2 and Mindless Blasters, like doom, quake, serious sam.

As such. it fails.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

Bump!

I'm pretty good at gauging PC games, but I'm totally lost with console games and I've just bought a DS Lite and a Wii in the same week. So, anyone fancy reviewing stuff for either of these? I'm actually finding I trust 5punk reviews more than I trust gaming magazines now because you're mostly of a similar mindset to myself. Probably a bad thing.
spoodie
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by spoodie »

I could probably knock up a couple of DS reviews, but I really want to do a proper review of STALKER now I've finished it.
TezzRexx
Dr Zoidberg
Dr Zoidberg

Post by TezzRexx »

I can't review DS or Wii games as I own neither unfortunately, (although I'm very tempted at both...) but if it's any help, Game Central on the teletext seem to do very fair reviews and are the only ones I trust in terms of published previews and reviews.

They're on page 805 on digital text shiz however I can't remember the "YE OLDé TEXT PAGE" number. :likesitall:
TezzRexx
Dr Zoidberg
Dr Zoidberg

Post by TezzRexx »

spoodie wrote:I could probably knock up a couple of DS reviews, but I really want to do a proper review of STALKER now I've finished it.

I would like this :above:
FatherJack
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by FatherJack »

Dog Pants wrote:Bump!

I'm pretty good at gauging PC games, but I'm totally lost with console games and I've just bought a DS Lite and a Wii in the same week. So, anyone fancy reviewing stuff for either of these? I'm actually finding I trust 5punk reviews more than I trust gaming magazines now because you're mostly of a similar mindset to myself. Probably a bad thing.

Well we cracked out a few mini-DS reviews in the mini thread, so Wii-wise what are you after? Party fun games, or something to play on your own for a while?

The release titles of Sports and to a lesser degree, Play are good to show everyone what the Wii can do, and give them all a chance to have a go. Other party favourites look like Wario and the Rabbids one, but I haven't tried these.

Straddling both camps is Tiger Woods, a lot more courses and play modes than the golf game in Sports, yet still accessible enough for anyone to have a go. Unfortunately it's graphics let it down a bit, and opinion is divided on the control system - I personally find it less like real golf than Sports. I look forward to Pangya/Super Swing Golf to fill the void.

For pure SP, surely Zelda wins. It was designed almost hand-in-hand with the Wii itself, and pretty much lacks any of the annoying jumpy bits that pissed me off in previous Zelda games - you'll know what I mean when you discover it. I'd have probably played it exclusively if I hadn't gotten a new PC, and Okami and FFXII hadn't come out.

FarCry was a disappointment, but at least shows FPS can work on a console. It is graphically poor, and has some rather stupid auxiliary controls, but the "point at it and shoot" with the mote actually works rather well.

Too early to say what I think of Eledees - I was very much looking forward to it, and it has a lot in common with the Katamari games: a slightly unusual control method, lots of silly fun at first, becomes hard to progress, but still actually quite fun in itself. It seems MP needs a chuk for each player, but since the moves tutorial takes at least half an hour, I don't think it's an instant party classic.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

Ah yes, the mini reviews. I'd sort of forgotten about them - they're not that easy to navigate so I just passed over the thread without really thinking about it. An index (or a reviews Wiki) would probably help this.

As for what games I want to play, that's why I want to see what people think of the games they've got. I've not played console games since the PS1 so I'm completely in the dark, but I went with the Nintendo systems because their control systems offer something completely different from the PC. I'm quite impressed with Wii Sports, especially the golf (I'll be keeping an eye out for Pangya too). I'm curious about Wario Ware and Raving Rabbids because they seem to have been the flagship games of the Wiimotes, but I'm painfully conscious of console reviewers' habits raving about a game for me to think it's utter shit compared to PC titles (Goldeneye for example).

I've already got Zelda with the system, but I was planning on getting it anyway after the reception it got from 5punkers. I'm only a couple of hours in and I'm a bit meh over it at the moment, but I plan on persevering (and the fishing was ace).
friznit
Heavy
Heavy

Post by friznit »

/casts resurrect

Redundancy...has this odd effect on your life that includes a sudden unexpected butt ton of free time. Having blown up my PC and spent the cash that was supposed to keep me alive on a new computer, I now need something vaguely amusing to keep me occupied at least until Empire Total War arrives in a month or so.

WoW and Eve are getting pretty stale, and while Mount & Blade has entertained me for almost 2 weeks, which is a pretty good deal for a fiver, I'd like to try something more adventurous.

Browsing Steam's Adventure category comes up with Longest Journey amongst a few others. Anyone got any ideas?
deject
Berk
Berk

Post by deject »

TLJ and Dreamfall are both excellent games. Definitely worth playing. As TLJ is from 1999 it is a bit hard on the eyes, but it's still very good.
FatherJack
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by FatherJack »

Evil Genius, The Movies, The Settlers and Restaurant Empire kept me entertained for a couple of weeks each. All less than a fiver.
buzzmong
Weighted Storage Cube
Weighted Storage Cube

Post by buzzmong »

Use GoG.com.

If you've not played them, Fallout 1 and Fallout 2. Stupendous games.
deject
Berk
Berk

Post by deject »

I have to finish those, I made it to Junktown but I haven't done much else.

Here's my Dreamfall review: http://www.5punk.co.uk/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=5076
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

I played some Burnout Paradise today on my break, on the X Box. I liked it. Anyone played the PC version? I'm not going to buy an X Box for it (and I'd never get to play it anyway - Mrs Pants owns the TV).
Akiakaiu
Shambler In Drag
Shambler In Drag

Post by Akiakaiu »

There is a demo for the pc version, I liked it, though not enough to pay for it.
FatherJack
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by FatherJack »

Dog Pants wrote:I played some Burnout Paradise today on my break, on the X Box. I liked it. Anyone played the PC version? I'm not going to buy an X Box for it (and I'd never get to play it anyway - Mrs Pants owns the TV).
You can get a VGA cable for a 360, but that's probably missing your point. I have the 360 version, I don't really like playing driving games on the PC.
spoodie
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by spoodie »

FatherJack wrote:I have the 360 version, I don't really like playing driving games on the PC.
:above:

It's seemed good but I got bored of it quite rapidly.
TezzRexx
Dr Zoidberg
Dr Zoidberg

Post by TezzRexx »

I'm the opposite, i keep going back to it. The big surf island and tv cars expansion packs made the game even more enjoyable.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

Driving games are something I go back to irregularly but for a long time, since there's not many decent ones on the PC. A 360 isn't really an option, but a 360 controller is, which might make it better. Apparently the Ultimate Edition on the PC has bikes and new islands and stuff too. I might go for this, it seems good for a quick mess about, and there's no way to mess your progress up, which I like.