Console/PC game reviews by 5punkers

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Dr. kitteny berk
Morbo
Morbo

Re: Mini Reviews

Post by Dr. kitteny berk »

Firewatch is very good.

I was convinced for a while it was all going a bit MKULTRA on me.
Dr. kitteny berk
Morbo
Morbo

Y'know that way some games grab you and you play until 4am, fall into bed, drool on your pillow and keep playing the next day?

DOOM isn't one of those, It's not even the sort of game that has an inexplicable pull that just makes you want to go back to it.

This is very strange to me, on the surface it looks like exactly my sort of game, a mindless romp that occasionally intersects with a brainless story to give you direction. And it's really very good at that.

But I don't really like it, it feels pointlessly sloggy, there's way too much: Enter area. A MILLION BAD GUYS. PUNCH THEM ALL TO DEATH. set pieces, it's started to feel like the gush from halo 1.

Saying that, I'm pretty sure it's me, I think I've grown out of mindless single player shooters.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

It perhaps isn't just you, but I think it is you to an extent. I'm enjoying it for its pace and straight forward gunnery. There's a bit of plot but it kind of happens as you progress rather than being horse fed. It has the old-school secret hunting, power-ups, and just plain old blasting of gribbly monsters. The set pieces you mentioned are, to me, arenas which encourage movement and aggression, which in turn pushes the combat to be frantic and explosive. It's a nice change from the slower, more tactical shooters that are the post-COD staple these days. Personal preference though, of course.
Dr. kitteny berk
Morbo
Morbo

Dog Pants wrote:It perhaps isn't just you, but I think it is you to an extent. I'm enjoying it for its pace and straight forward gunnery. There's a bit of plot but it kind of happens as you progress rather than being horse fed. It has the old-school secret hunting, power-ups, and just plain old blasting of gribbly monsters. The set pieces you mentioned are, to me, arenas which encourage movement and aggression, which in turn pushes the combat to be frantic and explosive. It's a nice change from the slower, more tactical shooters that are the post-COD staple these days. Personal preference though, of course.
I think that's it. It's not bad, it's really very fucking good at what it's doing, but I'm not doing it rite.

Edit: noticed I pretty much qualify for a refund (~2hrs gameplay, 2 weeks old), so I've requested one. Shame really, it's not bad, it's just not for me.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

Shadow Warrior
Mediocre shooter made slightly better by interesting setting and surprisingly good back-story.
Pnut
Ninja
Ninja

Post by Pnut »

You forgot the Wang jokes.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

Oh yeah, +1 for the protagonist being called Lo Wang, and jokes referencing that.
fabyak
Home-made Big Daddy
Home-made Big Daddy

Post by fabyak »

Batman Arkham Knight

As Joose never appeared to come back for this I will say that it is extremely Batman which to me is a very good thing indeed. Movement is very good and launching around the place comes very naturally. Combat is very good and flows well and there are a good range of enemies. Dialogue is pretty good and the story works very nicely and there is a shitload of side missions and other bits to do and look at and get involved in so there is plenty to do. I've also had absolutely no issues with the graphics but that was first a thing well over a year ago so it certainly seems to be fixed.

:starfull: :starfull: :starfull: :starfull: :starfull: :starfull: :starfull: :starfull: :starfull: :starempty:
buzzmong
Weighted Storage Cube
Weighted Storage Cube

Post by buzzmong »

Vietnam '65

Hex based wargame, based around winning the Hearts and Minds of the villages in a randomised section of La Drang valley over a set number of turns (45 on Normal).
You do this by having your infantry units visit the villages to try and get intel, and acting upon it, along with the occasional minesweeping, all while having to fend off attacks from the VC and NVA who are also trying to win the villages over.
You've also got to manage your supply lines and keep your troops supplied, your helos/mechanised/tanks fueled and your artillery supplied with ammo.

Tim Stone over at RPS did a good WoT I Think in March 2015(!) if you want more details.

It is a budget game, so it's not massive and spewing with content, but what's there is good and the mechanics are pretty tight. I've played a few games now and I've really enjoyed it, definitely worth the couple of quid I paid in the Slitherine sale at the weekend.

3.7 Peggles out of 5.

It's worth noting that its sequal, Afganistan '11 is launching at the end of March, and I'll probably be picking that up not long after it launches.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

I liked the look of that, but Slitherine games are always really expensive. If I'd had it on my wish list maybe I'd have picked it up :(
buzzmong
Weighted Storage Cube
Weighted Storage Cube

Post by buzzmong »

It's still only £6.99 at full price :) That said, I'd definitely wait to see what happens on the 23rd when Afgan' '11 launches.