Gamescom just gone but back next year

Forum for organising the next LAN event

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Anery
Optimus Prime
Optimus Prime

Gamescom just gone but back next year

Post by Anery »

OK, it's not so much a game as a trade fair of games but I figured this was the most appropriate place to put this - if not, one of you roguishly good looking admin types can put it somewhere else.

So, I was at gamescom 2016 this weekend just gone hand if you follow me on twitter you would have seen that I had myself a jolly good time whilst I was there. But, I figured most people here haven't been so I should probably give you the important information on what is Europes answer to E3. (As always there is an ulterior motive, see bottom of post)

Travel
Travel to KolnMessa (the venue) or Cologne in general is as easy as you want to make it. Flights from Cologne go from a large number of airports in the UK and Europe, if those flights cannot be found then flights to Dussledorf airport, which is about 30 minutes away by train, are another option open to you. Rail from Koln HauptBahnhof to the airport is around 5 euro and to Dussledoft it is around 11 euro. Taxi to/from Cologne airport is abour 25 euro.
During the event itself free rail travel is granted in the entire VRS/VRR area, so long as you have gamescom tickets and a special rail pass which is free when pre-booking. As this area is pretty bloody large it means you can travel to/from airports on same day as visiting the event, for free.

Accommodation
This will be the second most expensive purchase after the flights, or even the most expensive depending on where your tastes lie or how well prepared you are with your booking. Cheaper hotels in the area get snapped up quickly and close to event time there are no cheap hotels available at all.
My advice here would be to book on the other side of the Rhein, in the city centre proper as this is where a lot of the evening after party gamescom street events take place.

Tickets
Tickets are fairly cheap when you consider the size of the event. It cost us 35 euros each for a three day, Fri-Sun, ticket.

Facilities on site
The usual, of note are free drinking water from fountains and a cloakroom to store baggage should you be travelling to/from Cologne that day. The food is expensive and mostly crap the beer is pretty standard.
Public transport connections are great.

Suff to see/do
Esports events take place throughout gamescom, this year I saw some Overwatch and Heroes of the Storm. Press announcements tend to take place during the press only days early in the week but some are done throughout the event. Signing from some famous gaming personalitie, and some non-entity you tube spanners. Other entertainment is also put on in some cases (the Blizzard stage hosted a Blizz-centric version of Video Games Live this year) Cosplay competitions and shows are on at various times if you want a good lech, though the crowds are full of cosplayers anyway. Of course, games are available to play, competitions to take part in, new hardware is available to try out and new video releases for games are also on show.
There is also a very large merchandising area.

Queues
Ah yes, the main reason a lot of people don't go and why a lot of people don't go back. Queues can be massive, I queued for 3 hours to get to play 30 minutes of DoWIII. There are strategies for coping with long lines and avoiding long lines, best times of day to look to play certain games, etc. Just expect to spend time in lines waiting to see/play new games.

Freebies
There are many and varied, and none are worth the effort some people put in to get a hold of them.
Most stands will offer some form of freebie for sitting through their demonstrations, previews or other event. For example, Torment gave us tog bags, Playstation gave us a lanyard, DoW III gave us a tee-shirt. Don't be fooled by people walking around with large bags, I got one of these bags from Bethesda after their presentation and after eagerly opening it I discovered it was absolutely empty.
I would suggest that most freebies offered are simply not worth seeking out just for the freebie, but as incidentals for trying out a game you were already interested in they are an ok addition. If you really really want free shit then on Sunday afternoon most of the stalls are just chucking stuff at crowds of baying lunatics (personally I think that these moments are the best to get into a short queue while the horde is distracted)

Language
Yes this is Germany, yes the language used at the con is German. I suggest learning some small German phrases to get you by - "please" "thankyou" "excuse me" and "do you speak english" are a minimum requirement.
Most staff when asked will speak english, however most presentations will be in German.

My ulterior motive for this post?
I'm going back next year, and want to take a bunch of 5punkers with me.
Any questions, ask and i will update main post.
Mr. Johnson
Mr Flibbles
Mr Flibbles

Re: Gamescom just gone but back next year

Post by Mr. Johnson »

It's not that far for me (but would be considerably easier to go to if I had a car :unimpressed: ) so I've always been interested in going, but I'm really put off by the waiting in line. Hours of waiting to see a bit of fluffed-up footage or some polished cutscenes? No thanks. I'm not really seeing a lot of other reasons to go either. Convince me!

I suppose we could just go on the most interesting day and hang out in Cologne the rest of the time. Germany is a pretty great place to hang out.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

On the off chance I had a leave pass and the money I'd go to spend a weekend in Cologne with you and 5punkers with the con as an occasion. Gamers are, in the majority, knobs, but Insomnia with 5punkers was fun. Getting pissed up and watching the CS tournament with no clue what was happening, or getting pissed up and cheering for the shittest costumes in the cosplay contest. I could go for that. Course, I doubt I could afford it or get the leave pass...
Anery
Optimus Prime
Optimus Prime

Post by Anery »

Mr. Johnson wrote:Convince me!
My powers of persuasion are limited by this dirty yellow sun of yours! But I will try.
The queues are manageable, yes there are queues that are long but there are also queues that are short, or short by comparisson and not everything is a video. This year the only presentations I went to see were Torment: Tydes of Numeria and the Bethesda one which showed Prey and Dishonoured 2. The queus for both of these were about 30 minutes and the InXile guys were providing a playthrough guided by devs (it was a very small stand that one, I hope the guys weren't disheartened. Gave us a tog bag too, top chaps)
DoW was my "or die trying" of the entire show. I was willing the spend that time waiting to play the game - which I did for 30 minutes. The rest of the time we barely queued for an hour to play each game.

Here are some that took under an hour to wait for:

Gears of War 40billion
Titanfall 2 - twice
Overwatch
Eve Valkyrie on Oculus Rift
Law Breakers
Dreadnought
Civilization VI

There are little out of the way boothes that are really good to visit, Case King brought the Oculus gear and Eve Valkyrie and the queue was about 15 minutes because nobody realised it was there.
I would recommend two things to anyone going - be prepared to wait, have stuff to do and make a list of "or bust" games that you really want to see. Bear in mind there are good times to queue for stuff and bad.
Part of the appeal is the size and the sheer browseability of the floors, we spent hours just wandering around and ogling the games that we saw or watchign live demo's/competitions on stages. My own personal highlight of the show was Video Games Live on the Blizzard stage.
As for Cologne, it's a nice get away from the show I think. We didn't spend much time in the town, we were over the river. But the whole place embraces Gamescom and the weirdos that come to visit - also there is a zoo close to the town centre, just throwing that one in there.
Anery
Optimus Prime
Optimus Prime

Post by Anery »

Dog Pants wrote:On the off chance I had a leave pass and the money I'd go to spend a weekend in Cologne with you and 5punkers with the con as an occasion. Gamers are, in the majority, knobs, but Insomnia with 5punkers was fun. Getting pissed up and watching the CS tournament with no clue what was happening, or getting pissed up and cheering for the shittest costumes in the cosplay contest. I could go for that. Course, I doubt I could afford it or get the leave pass...
The leave pass might be the hardest bit for you. Expenses can be managed and lowered by doing things like sharing rooms, travelling into town on a day you have a ticket for the con thereby avoiding paying for rail, eat outside the con etc. Given enough advance warning it can be paid in parts too.

Not saying it is cheap cheap though cost of flights and accomodation for yourself sharing a room is about £220 but I can't get accurate prices until January.
Mr. Johnson
Mr Flibbles
Mr Flibbles

Post by Mr. Johnson »

Well, like Pants said everything is a bit more enjoyable when there's 5punkers around so for me it'll depend on how many others are going and I have the funds available. And on whether there is a bash or not.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

Anery wrote:Expenses can be managed and lowered by doing things like sharing beds
Sold!