Belgium Bash III - foodstuffs

Forum for organising the next LAN event

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Mr. Johnson
Mr Flibbles
Mr Flibbles

Belgium Bash III - foodstuffs

Post by Mr. Johnson »

Belgium bash is still a good month off, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to put the food thread up now so that I can buy stuff in increments and know in advance how much I need. Also, I'd like to know where you want to eat on Saturday evening. Let's start with that.

Keeping budget in mind I was thinking we could go to my favourite burger place but the downside of that would that they only serve burgers (though I think they also do salads) with chips or onion rings and that they cost around £10 per burger (this includes chips or onion rings). The upside is that they are really good, sufficiently large burgers that should fill any normal person. They also serve pretty good cocktails if you want one.
If the consensus is "No Johnson, I don't want your overpriced hipster burger" then let me know what else you like to eat because I will probably need to make reservations.

EDIT: Since it's now Belgium bash tradition I intend to do a boat barbecue on Sunday, but since it's late October it's very likely that there will be rain. I will keep a close eye on the weather predictions and if there's rain we'll just order pizza or something. Should there not be rain, is it okay for everyone if I just order a big ol' carton o' meat from my local butcher? I'll make sure there's a bit of everything in there like steak, sausages, meat skewers, ribs, etc.

Now on to the snacks and drinks. As your host I consider it only natural that I supply you with food and drink stuff but should you want to bring something yourself you are most welcome to do so. Just remember you can't bring liquids on a plane. I will also put a donation jar somewhere but I naturally don't except you to pay anything.
So, what would you bummers like to eat and or drink?
Last edited by Mr. Johnson on September 18th, 2015, 9:57, edited 1 time in total.
Dr. kitteny berk
Morbo
Morbo

Re: Belgium Bash III - foodstuffs

Post by Dr. kitteny berk »

Oooh! someone bring me a gallon of samurai sauce back!
Mr. Johnson
Mr Flibbles
Mr Flibbles

Post by Mr. Johnson »

If I don't forget I'll be sure to give it to Wiggy.
Joose
Turret
Turret

Post by Joose »

I will eat those burgers, yes. Burgers. Yes. Yeeeeessss.

I will enquire with the boss, but I imagine we will be requesting a beer purchase that we can pay you back for. Snack wise, we will eat anything as long as it is at least technically food, with the exception of red wine for Mrs Joose (gives her migranes).
Mr. Johnson
Mr Flibbles
Mr Flibbles

Post by Mr. Johnson »

Can do, let me know what beers you want and I do my damnedest to procure them. Though I will warn you right now that the infamous Westvleteren 12 is very hard to get, but there is a nearly identical beer that is easy to find should be dead set on trying it.

I also added something about the barbecue in my original post.
Wiggy
5pork
5pork

Post by Wiggy »

I'll eat basically anything, you know that :)
Mr. Johnson
Mr Flibbles
Mr Flibbles

Post by Mr. Johnson »

That is true.

Also, apart from me and Wiggy are there any others that drink beer? I usually just get a crate of pilsner for regular drinks but if it's just me and Wiggy I'm only getting the one crate and maybe a collection of heavier beers for those that want to try. Either that or we go to a cafe to try out some different beers.
Joose
Turret
Turret

Post by Joose »

Mr. Johnson wrote:That is true.

Also, apart from me and Wiggy are there any others that drink beer? I usually just get a crate of pilsner for regular drinks but if it's just me and Wiggy I'm only getting the one crate and maybe a collection of heavier beers for those that want to try. Either that or we go to a cafe to try out some different beers.
Both me and Mrs Joose are beer fans. "Collection of heavier beers" sounds very much up our street. Going to a cafe to try different beers also sounds good. Beer. Yes.
Grimmie
Master of Soviet Propaganda
Master of Soviet Propaganda

Post by Grimmie »

I have hold space on my flight, so I might be able to bring some liquor for us non-beer-drinkers.
Mr. Johnson
Mr Flibbles
Mr Flibbles

Post by Mr. Johnson »

It is worth mentioning that some drinks might be cheaper because of the Euro collapse. Beer is king in Belgium so we don't usually have quite the assortment of liquors you have on offer in UK shops but for example a 70cl bottle of Jack Daniels is £25 in Tesco whereas it's about £15 in most shops here. This might not apply to all drinks so if you want me to check any particular stuff give me a shout and I'll let you know.
Mr. Johnson
Mr Flibbles
Mr Flibbles

Post by Mr. Johnson »

I'm going to start scavenging for supplies soon, here is my list so let me know what needs to be added/subtracted. Note that I'll bring fancier beers from somewhere else. For the non-beer drinkers I've not added any liquor to the list but let me know what you would like or if you're bringing anything. I will also bring a fresh bread for your breakfast.

Currently I have:

-4 packs of smoked streaky bacon
-12 eggs
-1L of half-full milk
-a pack of butter (for baking and such)
-a jar of speculoospasta
-2 bags of salt & pepper crisps
-a bag of rosemary crisps
-a bag of tomato-basil crisps
-2 small bags of sour cream & onion crackers
-4 packs of pretzel sticks
-2 bags of paprika nuts
-3 packs of TUC salt & pepper
-3 packs of paprika TUC
-8 Luikse Wafels
-2 packs of own brand jaffa cakes
-3 packs of Pim's (fancy jaffa cakes)
-2 packs of thin milk chocolate wafers for your sandwich
-6 50cl bottles of agrum lemonade
-4 bottles of cider (in Champagne bottles, ooh-la-la)
-2 1,5L bottles of own brand cola
-2 1,5L bottles of own brand lemonade
-24x33cl bottles of Jupiler (5,2% pils)

Too much? Too little? Let me know.
Mr. Johnson
Mr Flibbles
Mr Flibbles

Post by Mr. Johnson »

I've gotten most of the things on that list, bar the eggs, butter, milk and the bacon as I'll get that on Friday itself. We should normally have some time to go pick up whiskey and assorted liquors as well then.

Also, for the tea and coffee drinkers: I suggest bringing your favourite tea from home, we do not have many good brands on offer and organic or tea-shop tea is usually pretty expensive. We do much better at coffee however and I know where to go to get some good stuff™, we'll discuss it when you're here. Also, I don't know what coffee making facilities the boat has but I've got a three person bialetti spare if you need it.
Mr. Johnson
Mr Flibbles
Mr Flibbles

Post by Mr. Johnson »

Oh, and is anyone absolutely dead set on having a barbecue? Because when I announced the bash I didn't know we would eventually be doing it on a boat, but since it's a much, much better location I'm glad it's there. However, I need to drag my barbecue all the way over there and get charcoal which most shops don't sell at this time of year. It's also an uncharacteristically cold October and mild rains and wind is looking likely for next Sunday.

Mind you, I can totally still do it if that's what everyone wants but if you've got a "I'm fine either way" feeling about it I can spare myself the trouble. Let me know!
Joose
Turret
Turret

Post by Joose »

I've got to say, if having BBQ means standing outside on a boat in October in the rain I'm happy with going for other options.
Mr. Johnson
Mr Flibbles
Mr Flibbles

Post by Mr. Johnson »

48 (24x2) types of beer bought and paid for. The Jooses can have their pick of 30 of them like they asked, the rest is for anyone else that wants to try it. I didn't get any glasses because they're kinda fragile to transport but if there's nothing on the boat that we can use I can get some from my place, since you don't really want to drink them from the bottle. The beers will be delivered on Saturday morning because of eh... reasons. But they'll be there!
Joose
Turret
Turret

Post by Joose »

:boogie: