Spec me a solution to my outlook problems!

If you touch your software enough does it become hardware?

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Mr. Johnson
Mr Flibbles
Mr Flibbles

Spec me a solution to my outlook problems!

Post by Mr. Johnson »

So my mum and dad got a new PC and I've been tasked with getting content from the old PC to the new. That caused some bizarre and unneeded problems of it's own,but eventually I got all the stuff across.
Apart from one thing. Despite my pleading to just switch to something less awful, they insist on using outlook for their email. On the old PC they had a sweeped version of outlook 2010, but the new one only came with a trial version of office 365. I got them libreoffice as a replacement for the other office stuff but that doesn't include an email client. So, what is a good alternative for outlook? And secondly, I saved their contacts etc. in a .PST file, how can I import this into the new email client?

Cheers, ladies what resembles a female dog.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Re: Spec me a solution to my outlook problems!

Post by Dog Pants »

I just use web mail at home, but I've heard good things about Thunderbird for a unified mail client. In fact I've never heard about any other. It won't be Outlook, but if they want the Outlook 2010 GUI then they're going to need to buy Office (although why on earth they'd want that awful thing I don't know).
Dr. kitteny berk
Morbo
Morbo

Post by Dr. kitteny berk »

I used thunderbird about a million years ago, it was okay and I think you can make it eat pstfiles.
FatherJack
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by FatherJack »

GMail

Actually, really.

It is an email client as well as a mail service, you can set up POP and IMAP and all that bollocks to any account. All the data is saved on their server so you don't need to worry about PSTs when you get a new computer. You could copy their existing PSTs into a Gmail account if you really wanted (using Thunderbird or Outlook).

It pretty much functions just like any other email client, but with all the benefit of being online - available from anywhere, automatically backed up, rules work all the time not just when your computer is on, multi-device accessibility.

The only downside that people have moaned to me about it is that you can't get at it when your internet is down. Well, good luck sending an email in Outlook when your internet is down.
Mr. Johnson
Mr Flibbles
Mr Flibbles

Post by Mr. Johnson »

I ended up going for Thunderbird. It was a pain in the arse to get all the data across but it's the most similar to outlook in terms of layout so it shouldn't take too long for my dad to pick up on it. And I've never actually used outlook but great Odin do I hate it.