New Lappotoppy!

If you touch your software enough does it become hardware?

Moderator: Forum Moderators

buzzmong
Weighted Storage Cube
Weighted Storage Cube

New Lappotoppy!

Post by buzzmong »

I'm in the market for a laptop, mostly for sofa coding, youtubing and other bits and bobs, not for gaming and not as a replacement for the desktop.

Sort of thinking minium of a 15" but would prefer a 17" screen and a min of 8GB ram, budget around £400. Not bothered about an SSD.

No idea on CPU as I know next to nothing about the AMD A series baring A10 being the latest, and on the Intel Front, some benchmark sites show a Core i3 (or better) is the choice over a standard Pentium as it's just quite a lot better.

I've been on amazon and I'm lost in a sea of laptops. Halp please tech bitches!
Dr. kitteny berk
Morbo
Morbo

Re: New Lappotoppy!

Post by Dr. kitteny berk »

Well, applying all your desires to amazon tells me you need to buy This.

So do that, then do a clean install to get rid of the malware.

Also, no point in worrying about exactly which CPU performs better in benchmarks, it's just a general use machine, a £100 tablet with a bluetooth keyboard would do the same shit.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

I'd avoid Lenovo personally. A clean install isn't guaranteed to remove the malware.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/08/12 ... are_nasty/
buzzmong
Weighted Storage Cube
Weighted Storage Cube

Post by buzzmong »

Interesting that you picked that one Berk, as that's the one I added to my wishlist earlier. The comment on the CPU was due to benchmarks like this and this, noticably the cache and threading, although you're probably right considering what I'm going to be using it for.

I hadn't seen that Pantsu, but I had seen the Superfish stuff that's linked in the article (think you posted about that as well), which is sort of making me want to steer clear of them.
buzzmong
Weighted Storage Cube
Weighted Storage Cube

Post by buzzmong »

A couple of months down the line, and this is now top of my list for when it comes back in stock. Or I might just by the purple one and be done with it.