Console bitches halp!

If you touch your software enough does it become hardware?

Moderator: Forum Moderators

HereComesPete
Throbbing Cupcake
Throbbing Cupcake

Console bitches halp!

Post by HereComesPete »

So, how do I transfer loads of files from a ps3 to a pc backup? Lan cable just seems to spazz my pc with complaints about same IP even with all ICS options ticked, wireless network seems to offer pc to ps3 but not the other way. I can use a thumb drive, but I would rather do it over network not legwork.

Halp!
FatherJack
Site Owner
Site Owner

Re: Console bitches halp!

Post by FatherJack »

In short I don't think you can.

A PS3 can only write to it's own internal drive or to an external USB drive - either a thumb drive, USB hard drive or a phone or something that presents itself as a storage device, formatted with the FAT32 filesystem.

It can additionally read from data CDs and media servers, such as Windows Media Player, Plex or Kodi.

It can't access typical network shares like a computer or media player can.

The only other thing is the data transfer feature, which only works over an ethernet cable or wifi for a PS3->PS3 transfer (for moving data to a new PS3) or does a backup/restore via a USB hard drive (for upgrading the internal hard drive or switching PS3s) It transfer all your accounts, data, saves, trophies and downloaded games, with some exceptions.

So your only option for backup to a PC is backing up the PS3 to an external hard drive, which you then move and plug into your PC to copy the data there.

Are you trying to access or transfer the data in some way, or is it just a precautionary backup? If it's only your saves you're worried about a PS+ subscription will let you back up 1GB of saves in the cloud, and you can always download games again from the account history or the PSN website.
HereComesPete
Throbbing Cupcake
Throbbing Cupcake

Re: Console bitches halp!

Post by HereComesPete »

Thanks for the info FJ. I went with a usb thumb drive after all. GF has loads of pictures and videos of the bairn on there and it's started to crash/freeze etc so I decided to move them just in case it decides to release the magic smoke.