Is it a good time to upgrade, bitches?!

If you touch your software enough does it become hardware?

Moderator: Forum Moderators

TezzRexx
Dr Zoidberg
Dr Zoidberg

Is it a good time to upgrade, bitches?!

Post by TezzRexx »

I'm considering upgrading my motherboard, ram, CPU and maybe graphics card (I have a 560Ti 1gb from about 2011), just wondering if now is a good time to upgrade, or am I likely to miss out on either new decent tech or a possible price drop on current gen?

I'm looking at either an i5 4690k, or an i7 4790k, but general consensus seems to be that i7s aren't worth the money just get for gaming due to many games not supporting hyperthreading. Is it worth saving the the cash for now by going with an i5 and investing in a new graphics card?

Fanx!
deject
Berk
Berk

Re: Is it a good time to upgrade, bitches?!

Post by deject »

TezzRexx wrote:Is it worth saving the the cash for now by going with an i5 and investing in a new graphics card?
I would say very much yes. The performance difference between the i5 Haswell and the i7 in gaming is not that big so you'd be better off putting those quid towards a new GPU. the 560 is quite old at this point, and you'd see a massive improvement going to a 960 for sure.
Joose
Turret
Turret

Post by Joose »

I've just recently stuck a 970 in my otherwise slightly aging rig, and it kicks everythings ass at high settings. Absolutely agree with just getting a shiny, shiny graphics card.
HereComesPete
Throbbing Cupcake
Throbbing Cupcake

Post by HereComesPete »

Is getting the i5 an option without a new mobo/ram requirement too?
TezzRexx
Dr Zoidberg
Dr Zoidberg

Post by TezzRexx »

I don't think so, I'll need to check but I think its just got socket 775, and I think current architecture is on 1150.

Thanks for the reply guys. Ive been reading that the next set is due to come out in a couple of months (Broadwell) which are supposed to be quite powerful, and efficient, so I'm not sure whether to wait a bit and see what happens, or just go with the i5 for now with decent GPU.
Dr. kitteny berk
Morbo
Morbo

Post by Dr. kitteny berk »

AMD hardware isn't a bad option either, I think I ended up saving about £30-40 compared to an intel build and have more-or-less comparable performance.

Though new stuff could change matters rather.
Dr. kitteny berk
Morbo
Morbo

Oh, lemme know if you do upgrade your graphics card, I'll buy the old one for wifey's machine :)
TezzRexx
Dr Zoidberg
Dr Zoidberg

Post by TezzRexx »

Will do Berk :D has the gap between AMD and Intel narrowed then? Back when I got the core 2 duo I remember AMD were really struggling.
Joose
Turret
Turret

Post by Joose »

I'm on AMD, although I forget what exactly. I do remember it being hugely cheaper for about the and performance when I got it.
Dr. kitteny berk
Morbo
Morbo

I think you get a bit better bang for buck with your AMDs these days, possibly still better outright performance with Intel, but the cpu (fx6300) I ended up with was like £15 cheaper for basically the same performance as the intel offering, and it overclocks reasonably nicely. :)
buzzmong
Weighted Storage Cube
Weighted Storage Cube

Post by buzzmong »

AMD's are in an odd place. They're actually better multicore chips than Intel, and do perform noticably quicker on applications that properly take advantage of threading and multiple cpus...the problem is that basically zero games do so. Ergo, you're marginally better off with an Intel chip as they are faster in the single core performance.

I'm quite happy with my FX-8350 though, and they do overclock by quite a bit.
Last edited by buzzmong on February 8th, 2015, 17:05, edited 1 time in total.
Dr. kitteny berk
Morbo
Morbo

I think games are getting better mostly, frostbite (battlefield) has support for a bajillion cores, I think a lot of others are using 2 or more now, certainly seen lots of reccomended specs wanting dual core machines.

The majority of machines in the steam survey are dual or quad core, so there's no excuse on that end.
deject
Berk
Berk

Post by deject »

AMD's latest CPUs are only competitive within their price range. There's a reason why AMD's CPUs only get so expensive, they know they could never sell chips that are more expensive because it would be ludicrous. I'd rather spend an extra 10-20% to get a quality Intel CPU than any AMD CPU at the moment.

But that's just me.
Anery
Optimus Prime
Optimus Prime

Post by Anery »

I'm looking at upgrading at some point in the next 6 weeks.

Looking at MSIs X99S board (not the stupid, pointless krait edition) i7 5820k (machine isn't just my gaming rig) and 16Gb of Corsair Vengeance (speed depending on how I feel at time of ordering)

Recommendations for/against?
deject
Berk
Berk

Post by deject »

Anery wrote:I'm looking at upgrading at some point in the next 6 weeks.

Looking at MSIs X99S board (not the stupid, pointless krait edition) i7 5820k (machine isn't just my gaming rig) and 16Gb of Corsair Vengeance (speed depending on how I feel at time of ordering)

Recommendations for/against?
Only con is the price really.
TezzRexx
Dr Zoidberg
Dr Zoidberg

Post by TezzRexx »

Researching my current parts, everything is quite expensive at the moment, I think cause they are changes coming in the next 3-6 months CPU wise and with DDR4. That set up would be quite future proof though and MSI seem to have a good rep.

I've just placed my order for CPU (i5 4690k) and Mobo (Gigabyte Gaming 5). Can't wait as my current set up is getting wonkier by the day!
Anery
Optimus Prime
Optimus Prime

Post by Anery »

I concur, the price is steep but it should put me in the position to take advantage of newer tech in the future. I'm still dithering over price though. 167 quid for a mobo is about 40 quid more than my normal limit and the price of the RAM...well, might have to sell a few body parts.
Going to sit on this a bit and see what prices are like in 6 weeks.

EDIT
Anyone have or thinking of getting an M.2 HD?
TezzRexx
Dr Zoidberg
Dr Zoidberg

Post by TezzRexx »

Not trying M.2 but I am going to give SATA-E a whirl.

What's the popular brand of PSU these days? Last time I looked corsair were but I'm seeing some people have various issues with PSUs despite receiving good reviews on sites.

I was going to get this: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Corsair-CP-9020 ... B00GN8VTVW

but now considering this: http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showprodu ... =CA-003-SF

Or am I being a spacktard and should be looking at something else?
Dr. kitteny berk
Morbo
Morbo

Find £20 more, buy this, never worry again, ever.
Dr. kitteny berk
Morbo
Morbo

Also, http://www.jonnyguru.com/ is good for PSU reviews.

Aaand, for what it's worth, I'm a strong believer in overspeccing PSUs, they're not a lot more for a decent upgrade in wattage, and if you're not pushing it to its limit all the time, you don't get weird stability issues or exploding capacitors.

That and you can upgrade everything else without the "Will I need another £100 to make this shit actually work" worry.