Hardware mini-reviews

If you touch your software enough does it become hardware?

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Dr. kitteny berk
Morbo
Morbo

Hardware mini-reviews

Post by Dr. kitteny berk »

Same premise as the ones in the entertainment section, say stuff about hardware you have, doesn't have to be massively long, just get some good/bad points in and talk some crap :)
Last edited by Dr. kitteny berk on March 26th, 2010, 23:15, edited 1 time in total.
Dr. kitteny berk
Morbo
Morbo

Hyperglide mouse feet

Decent replacement mouse feet for Logitech, MS and Razer mices,

Made of .5mm of solid teflon, rather than the crappy thin stuff on most mice, bought some to replace the worn feet on my G5, work really nicely, seem a lot more sturdy than the pads that come as standard.

Fairly cheap, shipping not super fast when buying direct (9 days from ordering to getting) but they are coming airmail from singapore, so hardly terrible. *much* better than teflon mouse tape.

9/10, unless they wear out in a week.

edit: well over a year old and going strong.
Dr. kitteny berk
Morbo
Morbo

bumped/sticked this. DO IT!
ProfHawking
Zombie
Zombie

Post by ProfHawking »

Post count whore :lol:
Dr. kitteny berk
Morbo
Morbo

:lol:
Davius
Ferret
Ferret

Post by Davius »

Well um I got my Samsung Galaxy S2 two days ago now and I'm finding it very very good.

Coming from a Symbian Nokia N97, this is my first foray into Android, I was worried about on screen keyboards as I have sausage (mmmmmm) fingers. The presence of Swype is brilliant, even when I trace a word misspelling it, it's alarming accurate. Even in the absence of that software can manage to type ok with a two thumb method and haptic feedback enabled.

Android marketplace impressive with a high amount of popular apps free, this includes apps you would otherwise pay for on the Apple versions. I've only dipped a toe into these waters and I'm already impressed, maybe because I've just come from OVI store which is laughable in comparison.
I was wondering what everyones must have apps/games are though. Time to start a 'your top ten' thread?

I realise this should be a review about the phone and I've not really mentioned anything that any Android 2.3.3 can do, so what about out then.

1.2 ghz dual core cpu, 1gb of RAM, 8mp camera, 16gb internal storage (SD card slot for expansion), 4.3 inch super AMOLEDplus screen.

Some impressive hardware for a phone, I think claimed the best spec in the world currently and I can believe it. The browser is brilliant and comes pre installed with the latest version of flash, it's handled everything brilliantly viewing desktop pages, tabbed browsing with flash enabled sites, no problems with the disco board, and I swear it renders spunk faster than my desktop. Every other phone I've had I always binned of the stock browser for 3rd party stuff, such as opera or skyfire. Not had a reason to yet.

The screen is stunning, I tried to lock the phone up earlier and push it to it's limits, just to see, and I couldn't see a slow down or second of lag at all, no where near a freeze. This is with at least six apps open, around 10 to 15 widgets, three of the apps being games,a tabbed browser with flash enabled, email and constant updating active, weather/feeds/email etc, could swap between each at a few key presses.

A neat feature is the task manager, which I think is phone specific, great for app switching, closing, managing resources, you get a breakdown of ram/cpu load.

I know it sounds like I trying to sell it eh? But I truly am impressed.

I should post cons, but I'm trying to find them. It's light slim well built and finished. The battery will probably be a con but as it's new it's been getting some very intense use, whilst in the house i'm usually near a socket, but hammering the phone (constant game playing browsing everything on) I estimate you'd be lucky to squeeze out 4 hours. Ouch I know, but what smart phone good these days. Standby and normal use prob your usual charge every other day stuff. Though last night I went to sleep with it fully charged, wifi and widgets on, screen in standby, this morning it had dropped to 97% charge, I expected less but looks promising.

First impressions...get one. Your move apple I guess, but I've never been an apple man so I'll prob/have to be happy with this for the next 24 months,a prospect that's not worrying me....yet lol.
Davius
Ferret
Ferret

Post by Davius »

Con: the speaker is shit, mono and as it's sooooooo small zero bass, quiet ish, packs a punch for ringtones but mp3s are meh.on the plus side you do get some decent stock headphones with it inear samsung jobbies.
Stoat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Stoat »

Nice review. I've been eyeing one of those.
Davius wrote:I was wondering what everyones must have apps/games are though. Time to start a 'your top ten' thread?
We do have a mobile gaming thread, so post your favourites there, or perhaps write up a review (or a bunch of mini reviews).

A pox on you if you've ever tried to play music with phone speakers, though. A POX.
fabyak
Home-made Big Daddy
Home-made Big Daddy

Post by fabyak »

Stoat wrote:A pox on you if you've ever tried to play music with phone speakers, though. A POX.
:above: Except change pox with hammers!
Dr. kitteny berk
Morbo
Morbo

Re:

Dr. kitteny berk wrote:Hyperglide mouse feet
9/10, unless they wear out in a week.
... I have just had to peel these off (possibly off the 2nd mouse they've been on) and apply double sided tape to the back to get some proper mouse smoothness back, I suspect they passed the lifespan test. :)
Dr. kitteny berk
Morbo
Morbo

Re: Hardware mini-reviews

Bought a 2m usb cable off these people, is long as fuck and delivers 1.8A, which is good enough, but not quite the 2A I was hoping for.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

Dr. kitteny berk wrote:Bought a 2m usb cable (...) is long as fuck
2m long?
Dr. kitteny berk
Morbo
Morbo

Actually, no, it's 201cm. :)
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

I declare your statement to be accurate, then.